$1.28/ea for solid colored Tshirts! Any1 else have $ saving ideas?

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I'm sure someone has already done this before, but with finances being so tight for everyone I hate to leave this unsaid.

My boys are VERY tough on their clothes, particularly their shirts. I went to the store today to take advantage of their tax free school supply days, and was horrified at the concept of spending $5.00 or more on shirt that are just going to get ripped or stained in a few months. This is what I'm doing instead:

I found packages of 100% cotton white t-shirts for $5/5 shirts. That's a dollar a shirt with the no tax thing. Then I got a few different Rit dye colors. I am now in the process of dyeing the shirts. If you think about the fact that each shirt was only a buck, and the dye was about $2.80 for a bottle that will dye 10 shirts, I only spent $1.28 each on brand new shirts. If you want to get technical about the cost of water for dyeing/washing, well....I was gonna wash the shirts anyway cause I don't wear stuff directly from the store, so one extra small load for dyeing per 10 or so shirts. That's a sweet bargain (I think, I'm sure someone will come up with a solution that trumps mine lol) especially since the thrift stores aren't very cheap anymore.

Anyone else have money saving back to school ideas??? Please share!!!

Great idea!! Also, I saw that Michael's now carries really great looking press on things, iron ons. Another way to make those shirts look great!! Maybe even sell a few!!!!

LOL, I wouldn't mind selling them, but honestly I would rather pass along an idea that would help people save money. Even if these are for older kids, a couple dollars per shirt is AWESOME compared to $5!!! I'll have to go check out Michael's....thanks!!!

That is a great idea!! Too bad my son is more rough on pants than shirts. Most of his shirts get tossed cause they wear out.
hmm.png

You really should make some to sell, every little bit counts nowadays!!

we have websters market here in florida. i found already colored shirts for $1 a piece. I was like 10 please ....LOL thank god my school has uniforms cause i am done buying trendy shirts for my kids!

Last edited:
I'm in my 40's now and have shopped at Goodwill since high school. I destroy clothes being on this farm and it feels far better to destroy a $5 pair of jeans. They often have super saturdays where clothes are 1/2 price. I don't know where you live but the closer you are to major cities, generally the better the selection. It is worth a trip if you haven't tried it.

For babies especially, buy the white onsies pack and tie dye them, that way the spit up stains blend in rather than white onsies with yellowed stains.
ep.gif

Same for older kids, once they spill something on a white shirt, just tye dye it, and it's now art not stained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom