1/3 of our flock has died suddenly milky eyes.

Calipilot1987

Hatching
Jul 13, 2020
Yesterday we let the chickens in the big coup out. We had about 40 chickens. We give them fresh water everyday as the weather is so cold that it will freeze over night. It's been between 20-50 degrees F for almost 2 months. We've been buying the same brand of feed since we got them in April 2020 we bought them all as day old chicks. We got up yesterday let them out fed and watered them then hooked up the heat lamps in the coup for the first time of the year with the doors open. They We're acting perfectly normal. We opened a new bag of feed for them that we had purchased a couple days earlier. Our hens have not laid any eggs that we could find in about a month. We put that down to much shorter daylight hours. They've been acting normal though. About an hour after we got the chicken chores done i noticed one of the wellsummer was dead outside of the coup. The wellsummers have had issues since we got them so i was not surprised. Then we found another wellsummer dead in the coup doorway. Then a golden comet unable to get up so we put her down. Within 3 hours we had 12 dead chickens. We unplugged the heat lamps and got rid of the feed and picked up a different brand of feed from a different store. Today we lost 3 more. We let them all out they were all fine and active and eating and drinking and running around weekend we let them out. We've lost wellsummers australorps golden comets sapphire gems and silver laced winedots. No sores in their mouths nothing of note except milky eyes. It's quite sudden. They are fine and Then they can't get up and soon after they spasm and die.

The only thing I can think is to look at your new heat lamps and see if they are Teflon coated. That can kill your birds, there have been threads on it a few times. You mentioned it was the first time you hooked them up and turned them on. Find the manufacturer info and read up on the specs. I am really sorry you lost your girls. That has to be very sad and not knowing why is rough!

The only thing I can think is to look at your new heat lamps and see if they are Teflon coated. That can kill your birds, there have been threads on it a few times. You mentioned it was the first time you hooked them up and turned them on. Find the manufacturer info and read up on the specs. I am really sorry you lost your girls. That has to be very sad and not knowing why is rough!
Checking now

Very sorry for the loss of your chickens. If you have any bodies left available, I would refrigerate them, but not freeze, and tomorrow morning contact your state vet for a necropsy. They sometimes will do 2 or 3 for the price of 1. If you are in California, US Davis will do 2 birds for $25. Do you know where the heat lamp bulb was purchased? Was it for brooding baby chicks? How old were your birds? Smell your old bag of feed for any off odor or blue green coloring of mold.

What do you mean, exactly, when you say the welsummers have been having problems?

Where did you buy the birds? Did you buy them all from the same place at the same time?
Bought them all at the same place at the same timeback in April. The wellsummers were never very healthy out of 6 one died after a week and 4 developed issues about the same time where they became debilitated and had to be taken to and from the food and water dish by hand for about a month and were permanently stunted. Then we had one die a couple months ago for seemingly no reason. I just wouldn't ever go with that breed again personally.

Back
Top Bottom