1 black bird & 2 white & 2 salmon faverolles

fishygirl25

Chirping
Mar 10, 2021
Florida
Hi everyone, somehow I ended up with one young Black Maran. I purchased 2 blue eggers and 2 salmon faverolles day old chicks 4 weeks ago. I used the look but can’t touch method for a few weeks. Everyone is now walking around in the same area. There are no fights but the chicks are afraid of Ethel (Black Maran).
I do not have the resources for another coop. Now the chicks are sleeping in the house and outside during the day.
Will the chicks be more accepting of Ethel when they are more of the same size? I didn’t think it was going to be a problem but maybe I should have gotten black birds?

Attachments

• 852FFABF-FD85-4D95-8325-30DFC4752769.jpeg
    852FFABF-FD85-4D95-8325-30DFC4752769.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 8
  • CCAA5CFB-052B-4597-9F70-FB918353676B.jpeg
    CCAA5CFB-052B-4597-9F70-FB918353676B.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi everyone, somehow I ended up with one young Black Maran. I purchased 2 blue eggers and 2 salmon faverolles day old chicks 4 weeks ago. I used the look but can’t touch method for a few weeks. Everyone is now walking around in the same area. There are no fights but the chicks are afraid of Ethel (Black Maran).
I do not have the resources for another coop. Now the chicks are sleeping in the house and outside during the day.
Will the chicks be more accepting of Ethel when they are more of the same size? I didn’t think it was going to be a problem but maybe I should have gotten black birds?
Yes, the chicks will figure it out when they are larger. Pecking order is normal.

Age groups normally group together. I'm just now seeing my POL pullets start to group with the adult hens. The 17-week chicks-turning-teenager stay in their own group.

When they're all adults they will probably mix.
I agree, I have 1 surviving POL that finally got along with her parents.

My 12 week olds try to engage with the parents, but they get chased away, especially feeding time. But over all they ignore each other.

I have a penned in area outside the run that they run around and play. There are several little houses that they can hide in. There is also a A frame perching structure. I try to make it fun for them!😊

Back
Top Bottom