1 chicken killed, the other distressed.

silkiesrqtpies

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hi everyone

I'm devastated to say that one of the two silkies I own was dragged from their kennel and eaten last night. I owned a hen and a rooster, the rooster was killed. The hen seems distressed and it just standing/sitting in one place. I don't know what to do with her.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marc

EDIT: I suppose what I want to know is if it's cruel to keep her on her own. Should I find a new home for her with other chickens? She is about 1.5 years old and has spent her whole life with just this one rooster that was killed. I don't know if she would be able to assimilate with other chickens but I don't want to keep her on her own, especially now that there is a predator.

Last edited:
It's your call. She could be found a new home easily on Craigslist. She could become a house chicken pretty easily as well. Silkies are quiet and mild-mannered. If you flock is comprised of mellow birds maybe you pick out a low order girl to keep the silkie company until you can fully integrate her into the flock. I, personally, would try to integrate her into the larger flock. It is very tough to integrate a single bird into an existing flock, but I would try.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom