1 chicken laying eggs with broken circle in center of big end.

Its the same type of break each time. It looks like a small blunt object is tapped on it. About 1/2 inch across. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sounds like a potential egg eater....would that 'small blunt object', in fact, be a chicken's beak trying to get into the egg but not succeeding maybe?

Its the same type of break each time. It looks like a small blunt object is tapped on it. About 1/2 inch across. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Is it the size of the end of a beak? I had a/some new layers puncture eggs. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I thought I was going to have to find her and cull her as an egg eater (hard to do with a couple dozen free ranging birds!) but it seems to have almost stopped completely. My theory, and it a long shot theory, is that sometimes birds will 'check' their eggs for healthyness of the shell... With some chickens just taking it to far. It was also done on mostly thin shelled eggs. But who knows-

Where on the egg? Eggs can break when laid if the bedding isn't thick enough of other eggs are in the nest. Holes can also be from pecking as well as toenails. Pictures would help.

I don't think it's a beak hole. Its about 1/2 across. On the big end each time. Layer pellets. The other eggs are fine.
Than I would guess it's being broke as it's being laid as the hen will stand up to push it out. Sometimes there's a weak spot on an egg. It may just be a temporary thing with the hen or a permanent issue.

I used to have all kinds of shell quality problems when I fed a layer ration, now on an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells I see very few defects or weak shells.

Than I would guess it's being broke as it's being laid as the hen will stand up to push it out. Sometimes there's a weak spot on an egg. It may just be a temporary thing with the hen or a permanent issue.

I used to have all kinds of shell quality problems when I fed a layer ration, now on an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells I see very few defects or weak shells.

Thanks for the reply.

It's getting better but I've been thinking about going the route you do. I was wondering which ration to use with the oyster shells. All Flock it is.

Will this still be OK with hens in the 9 or 10 month old range?

Back
Top Bottom