1 chicken with runny poop

kellyschippy

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
connecticut
I have 8 8week old chickens 1 EE 7 leghorn.
One of my leghorns has runny poop but I'm not sure which one.
What can cause this and how can i prevent it? Also, do i treat it and if so how?
20170521_102804.jpg

Glenda Heywood
Here are some answers to the diarrhea
http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-diarrhea.html
Chicken diarrhea can be caused by bacteria, fungus or virus present in the digestive tract. Certain levels of bacteria in the digestive tract are normal, but too much can cause symptoms similar to food poisoning in humans.
Taking a sample of the droppings to your local poultry vet can result in knowing specifically what small organisms or parasites you may be dealing with. Guessing and medicating can lose precious time. The right diagnosis and treatment might actually save a chicken’s life, if done in time.

Chicken diarrhea can be spotted in two ways. Unformed droppings on the ground and dirty feathers below and around the vent, if you watch for it you will be able to tell which chicken or chickens have a problem.

A chicken acting unwell with diarrhea should be separated from the flock. Sometimes it’s best to treat the whole flock, depending on the problem. The dirty feathers should be cleaned or trimmed to prevent build up.

In warm weather the collection of droppings may invite flies to lay eggs, causing maggots which can be a further problem. Built up droppings around the vent can block feces or eggs from being passed, threatening a chicken’s life.

Treatments
Probiotics may help with some diarrhea symptoms. Diarrhea can be caused by an imbalance or lack of good digestive bacteria, allowing food to pass through partially digested, sometimes completely undigested.

Chicken diarrhea should be treated quickly with the right medication or supplement. Your vet might recommend a human product and give you the right chicken dose.

Not all human medications or other animal medications are safe for chickens. Most feed stores carry probiotic products. This is a safe and natural treatment, that should have no bad side effects, when directions are followed.
Glenda L Heywood Cassville Missouri

Probiotics alone are meant to re-balance the digestive tract, but antibiotics, antifungals, antivirals or deworming may be needed as well. Injected antibiotics can be more efficient and less trouble since they don’t move through the digestive tract.

Oral or injected antibiotics can still kill off good bacteria needed for complete digestion. If you’ve treated chickens with antibiotics you should follow up with probiotics.

Products like electrolytes, even Gatorade, can help restore hydration and vitamin/mineral balance lost while a chicken has diarrhea. Chronic diarrhea leaves a chicken sick and weak.

Chicken diarrhea can cause dehydration and malnutrition, along with other symptoms of disease, so this is not something to be ignored. If intestinal parasites are present, robbing vital nutrients from the chicken’s digestive tract, it can lead to weakness and possibly death, if allowed to go on too long.

Diarrhea that lasts a day or two may just be the result of a sudden change in feeding and watering habits. Keeping chicken water supplies clean is important. Chickens eating dry feeds often rinse feed still in and on their beak into drinking water.

In warm temperatures bacteria may form in the water if containers are not thoroughly cleaned often, and cause digestive problems. Healthy chickens are hearty and can process low levels of bacteria, but feeding spoiled moldy foods should never be done and allowing chickens to scratch through compost with rotten food is dangerous.

GLENDA HEYWOOD
I have used my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE for this kind of sick chicken
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with yoguart be given.
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart and it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks
as you will notice if standing too close to them eating the yoguart

So read on down where I give the recipe
some advice for helping the chicken get over the green diarrhea ad black comb

today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex and selenium

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
1 tbsp flax seed meal (the kind people take)
3 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
Crush the selenium tablet alo add to t mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

(C) Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
(D) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes
this will help them get good gut flora
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
(E) then give it 3-5 times a week for life

(F)ALSO FEED WET MASH PROBIOIC RECIPE TO THE HEALTHY CHICKENS.
multiply the amt times the amount of chickens being fed the wet mash probiotic recipe without the vitamins once or twice a week. fr the rest of their life.

Chickens can have normal poops and then every so often have a cecal poop, which is the shiny, smelly, sticky, dropping that looks like melted chocolate. They can have more runny poops if they have been drinking a lot of water in warm weather. I would keep an eye out for any blood in droppings or for anyone that appears weak or lethargic, which might be a sign of possible coccidiosis. Probiotics or a small amount of cultured plain yogurt added to the feed or a treat twice a week can help promote good intestinal health.

Glenda Heywood
Chicken diarrhea can be caused by bacteria, fungus or virus present in the digestive tract. Certain levels of bacteria in the digestive tract are normal, but too much can cause symptoms similar to food poisoning in humans.
Taking a sample of the droppings to your local poultry vet can result in knowing specifically what small organisms or parasites you may be dealing with. Guessing and medicating can lose precious time. The right diagnosis and treatment might actually save a chicken’s life, if done in time.

Chicken diarrhea can be spotted in two ways. Unformed droppings on the ground and dirty feathers below and around the vent, if you watch for it you will be able to tell which chicken or chickens have a problem.

A chicken acting unwell with diarrhea should be separated from the flock. Sometimes it’s best to treat the whole flock, depending on the problem. The dirty feathers should be cleaned or trimmed to prevent build up.

In warm weather the collection of droppings may invite flies to lay eggs, causing maggots which can be a further problem. Built up droppings around the vent can block feces or eggs from being passed, threatening a chicken’s life.

Treatments
Probiotics may help with some diarrhea symptoms. Diarrhea can be caused by an imbalance or lack of good digestive bacteria, allowing food to pass through partially digested, sometimes completely undigested.

Chicken diarrhea should be treated quickly with the right medication or supplement. Your vet might recommend a human product and give you the right chicken dose.

Not all human medications or other animal medications are safe for chickens. Most feed stores carry probiotic products. This is a safe and natural treatment, that should have no bad side effects, when directions are followed.

Probiotics alone are meant to re-balance the digestive tract, but antibiotics, antifungals, antivirals or deworming may be needed as well. Injected antibiotics can be more efficient and less trouble since they don’t move through the digestive tract.

Oral or injected antibiotics can still kill off good bacteria needed for complete digestion. If you’ve treated chickens with antibiotics you should follow up with probiotics.

Products like electrolytes, even Gatorade, can help restore hydration and vitamin/mineral balance lost while a chicken has diarrhea. Chronic diarrhea leaves a chicken sick and weak.

Chicken diarrhea can cause dehydration and malnutrition, along with other symptoms of disease, so this is not something to be ignored. If intestinal parasites are present, robbing vital nutrients from the chicken’s digestive tract, it can lead to weakness and possibly death, if allowed to go on too long.

Diarrhea that lasts a day or two may just be the result of a sudden change in feeding and watering habits. Keeping chicken water supplies clean is important. Chickens eating dry feeds often rinse feed still in and on their beak into drinking water.

In warm temperatures bacteria may form in the water if containers are not thoroughly cleaned often, and cause digestive problems. Healthy chickens are hearty and can process low levels of bacteria, but feeding spoiled moldy foods should never be done and allowing chickens to scratch through compost with rotten food is dangerous.

GLENDA HEYWOOD
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart and it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks

today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex and selenium

2 tbp of dry crumbles
2 tbsp of apple sauce
mix good and put the

this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight

multiply the amt times the amount of chickens being fed the wet mash probiotic recipe without the vitamins once or twice a week. fr the rest of their life.

Glenda Heywood

Treatments

GLENDA HEYWOOD

2 tbp of dry crumbles
2 tbsp of apple sauce
mix good and put the

It would make a lot more sense offer fermented feed or even kefir (lactose is consumed by the kefir grains), than to give them yogurt that is high in lactose and will just upset their digestive system further. Besides most store baught yogurt is mostly dead anyway.

Back
Top Bottom