1 day old and 6 week old chicks.

Zayan

Chirping
Oct 9, 2020
Hey everyone,

About 6 weeks ago, I hatched one silkie chicken. I got more eggs so he won't be lonely and those hatched today. Can I keep them in the same brooder? How to I make sure the small ones get heat? If I put a heat lamp too low, the older one could jump and burn himself.

What should I do? Id appreciate any responses

6 weeks age difference is pushing it a bit. Older chicks can sometimes be bullies or run smaller chicks over. You can try it out but make sure to keep a close eye on them. You shouldn't need to put the heat lamp too low unless it is really cold where you are keeping them.

6 weeks age difference is pushing it a bit. Older chicks can sometimes be bullies or run smaller chicks over. You can try it out but make sure to keep a close eye on them. You shouldn't need to put the heat lamp too low unless it is really cold where you are keeping them.
I see what your saying. Theres only one 6 week old chick btw.

It does help to have more of the younger chicks. It depends a lot on the personalities involved, your singleton will probably appreciate the company. I'd give the littles a few days on their own to grow and get strong if you have the space for it. They'll probably want to imprint on the bigger chick tho, so keeping an eye on how the older one takes it is key. On the upside, it'll keep them warm so if they get along, you can pull back the lamp. Keep a warm spot for the babies but don't stress if they prefer to snuggle under the big one.

Back
Top Bottom