1 Day old Chick has green poo!!!!

TammyF

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
My one day old rir has green poo. What does this mean? Should I be concerned? This is my first hatch. All the other seem fine. She is eating and drinking. She looks ok just has bright green poo. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Try to get a picture, if you can.

What type of brooder are they in? Have you cleaned out the bedding?

Just green poo, no blood? What kind of feed are they on?

Has this chick been lethargic at all?

Usually, bright green neon poops are a sign of malnutrition in adult birds... Unsure if that's the case in a day old chick.

MrsB

When it hatched it had some green stuff with the cord. Just checked a few minutes ago. It seems to have dried up now. I just put them in the brooder box a few hours ago. Brand new.

Last edited:
I would just watch her to make sure she's active and eating and drinking. Their first few poops until they get water and food flowing through them can be a little odd. :)

MrsB

Pretty sure green is the normal color for their first poops. Once it starts eating you should see a normal color. :D

-Kathy

Pretty sure green is the normal color for their first poops. Once it starts eating you should see a normal color.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
x2 My new ones always start with green poos. They will change colors when the food starts going through them.

Back
Top Bottom