1 day old orphaned pot belly pig HELP please!!!

GraceHomestead

Songster
Jun 21, 2016
Hello all,
I was given 3 PBP 3 weeks ago. 1 looked a tad more round then the others so I was thinking pregnant but didn't know how far along.
She was seperate in her own pen because she looked pretty far.
Yesterday when we did our check she had 2 dead babies (laying on them) and 1 alive baby. The mother didn't make it through the labor. We found after the fact that she had 1 more HUGE dead smelly piglet that would have never been able to be delivered!
So now I have a 1 day old piglet and have no clue what I am doing.
I bought milk replacement and have tried feeding with a spoon, and I only had a human bottle but it is way to big :/ does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on keeping this piglet alive? My husband named her Penelope.

Was it possible to get some of the colostrum from the sow's teats?
A pet store should have appropriate sized nipples for baby bottles. I think they have them for kittens. They need to suckle.

Ditto what was said above. The first week is the toughest with these tiny ones. Some piglets will NOT take a bottle, if that is the case give her milk replacer in a shallow dish. Shallow is important because they will stick their whole head in if you give them a deeper bowl and will aspirate food through their nose.

And warmth. Keep her inside attached to you if possible. When I had one of these I stuck her in my shirt most of the time for the first couple weeks. She's too small to regulate her own body temp and will freeze even in nice weather.

I'm curious. Why milk replacer? What is wrong with milk? When I was little my mother raised a pig that was rejected by his mother. She fed him an infant formula made with canned milk. I don't remember how she kept him warm but I do remember he insisted on being rocked in a rocking chair when he got his bottle.

I'm curious.  Why milk replacer? What is wrong with milk? When I was little my mother raised a pig that was rejected by his mother.  She fed him an infant formula made with canned milk. I don't remember how she kept him warm but I do remember he insisted on being rocked in a rocking chair when he got his bottle.

That is so precious
1f60d.png
I'm sure that was quite a sight!

I'm sure you could use milk or canned milk- I've just used a milk replacement with my pig babies that needed it. At one week I switched them to replacer mixed with a baby rice cereal type thing and I've had great outcomes always.

Back
Top Bottom