1 Horse Horse Barn- Horse Owners, please approve!

I love the design of access into the two paddocks. Make sure you plan for how you will handle the high traffic way of the alleyway with drainage so it isn’t a slippery slick mud mess.

I also suggest a companion. If you alternate between the 1 acre paddocks I see now reason the space can’t handle two horses.

donkeys actually do best with another donkey. You could do TWO miniature donkeys as companions, or another horse.

If horses do best with a buddy, does the buddy have to be a horse or can it be (for example) a goat?
Certain horses prefer different things. Good rule of thumb- two acres per horse if you want grass. If not, paddocks will quickly become dry runs. My horse is currently by himself horse wise because he’s a bit of an anomaly in that, he really didn’t like being with other horses in the pasture. He doesn’t really like my pigs or goat and would prefer the dogs. Also this is just me but if you’ve never owned a horse, start with a gelding. Mares can be sweet but once they get in heat you better pray you’re not on her Hitlist. Geldings *tend* to be more mild mannered and well behaved, especially if they’re more of a cold blood. All of that can go out the window if we’re talking about say...a thoroughbred...but it all depends on the horse. My gelding comes from a line of horses who don’t give a crap and are very calm. So that’s just his bloodline. I dunno. In my experience, I always go with the geldings. And whatever you do !Dont Get A Pony! You’d think they’re all sweet because they’re small. No! They’re bitter and salty and stubborn. (Calm down pony lovers I’m just being dramatic XD) but seriously, I think in my ten years of working with horses, I’ve met two ponies who were super sweet and actually behaved. Both of them were geldings lol. I’ve also noticed certain breeds also tend to be more stubborn, like appaloosas. For the pastures as well, you might want to include a shade in one of them for summer heat.

Certain horses prefer different things. Good rule of thumb- two acres per horse if you want grass. If not, paddocks will quickly become dry runs. My horse is currently by himself horse wise because he’s a bit of an anomaly in that, he really didn’t like being with other horses in the pasture. He doesn’t really like my pigs or goat and would prefer the dogs. Also this is just me but if you’ve never owned a horse, start with a gelding. Mares can be sweet but once they get in heat you better pray you’re not on her Hitlist. Geldings *tend* to be more mild mannered and well behaved, especially if they’re more of a cold blood. All of that can go out the window if we’re talking about say...a thoroughbred...but it all depends on the horse. My gelding comes from a line of horses who don’t give a crap and are very calm. So that’s just his bloodline. I dunno. In my experience, I always go with the geldings. And whatever you do !Dont Get A Pony! You’d think they’re all sweet because they’re small. No! They’re bitter and salty and stubborn. (Calm down pony lovers I’m just being dramatic XD) but seriously, I think in my ten years of working with horses, I’ve met two ponies who were super sweet and actually behaved. Both of them were geldings lol. I’ve also noticed certain breeds also tend to be more stubborn, like appaloosas. For the pastures as well, you might want to include a shade in one of them for summer heat.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom