1 Out Of 4

ChickyBaby75

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
Good morning all!

I have read through the forum and didn't see my specific question addressed, so, thought I'd ask. šŸ˜Š

I'm a newbie, I am guessing I might be missing something.

I have four golden sexlink hens. One of them finally started laying last week. (They hatched early June.) She has been laying faithfully every day now. The others haven't done a thing. I put fake eggs in two of the three best boxes to encourage laying, to no avail.

My layer and one of the others (who was thought to be a male) do the "Hey, Sailor" dance. (Can cockerells do that?) The other two don't. I cannot figure out why there is a discrepancy in their behavior. They hatched at the same time.

I've made sure to give them layer feed, extra oyster shell, and treats like apples. There are no stressors, in fact, they have a watch cat, he keeps anything from bothering them.... even points out grasshoppers to them...

Is there anything else I might do to encourage laying behaviors?

Hi! It's the little dance they do if you touch their backs. They crouch down, put out their wings a little and do this stomping thing like they're in the movie Flash Dance. I don't know what it's really called. Guessing they're being hormonal?

It's called squatting, and they're signaling submission to mating.

Every bird is an individual even if they're the same breed. You can't expect all human children born on a certain date to hit puberty at the same time, so same goes with chickens.

My layer and one of the others (who was thought to be a male) do the "Hey, Sailor" dance. (Can cockerells do that?) The other two don't. I cannot figure out why there is a discrepancy in their behavior. They hatched at the same time.
Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Still different genetics.. I've seen a huge discrepancy in laying age.

What's the hey sailor dance? I haven't heard that before.

You would think GSL would be female.. but mix ups in breed (or label) happens all the time..
1602954162025.png

For the most part.. cockerels and pullets can do a lot of the same things.. chest bumping/treat calling/egg song. Hens and roosters can both grow spurs and crow.. but the only thing that remains true.. only girls can lay eggs.. but not all will.. chickens do get hormones out of whack just like people, sometimes.. Just for informational purposes. :)

Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Still different genetics.. I've seen a huge discrepancy in laying age.

What's the hey sailor dance? I haven't heard that before.

You would think GSL would be female.. but mix ups in breed (or label) happens all the time..
View attachment 2376461

For the most part.. cockerels and pullets can do a lot of the same things.. chest bumping/treat calling/egg song. Hens and roosters can both grow spurs and crow.. but the only thing that remains true.. only girls can lay eggs.. but not all will.. chickens do get hormones out of whack just like people, sometimes.. Just for informational purposes. :)
Hi! It's the little dance they do if you touch their backs. They crouch down, put out their wings a little and do this stomping thing like they're in the movie Flash Dance. I don't know what it's really called. Guessing they're being hormonal?

Back
Top Bottom