1 Rir, 1 Bo, And 2 Barred Rocks......is Buffy The Only Hen?lota Pics

johnnyg07

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
north haven ct
MY 2 BARRED ROCKS WHERE BAUGHT AT A LOCAL AUCTION AS 2 HENS FOR $11 EACH......THE RIR AND BO WHERE BAUGHT THE SAME DAY AS PART OF 4 PULLETS I GOT 2 AND SOME 1 ELSE GOT THE 2 BLACK BIRDS FROM THE SAME CAGE......NOW THE BROCKS WERE SAID 2 BE HENS BUT WITHIN A WEEK OF HAVING THEM( IVE HAD ALL 4 FOR 4 WEEKS) I NOTICED 1 SHOWING DOMINANCE AND THE TAIL FEATHERS AND SADDLE FEATHERS MAKE ME WONDER BUT THEY HAVE NEVER CROWED BUT THEY ALSO HAVE NEVER LAYED YET IN 4 WEEKS..THEY R VERY HENISH IN PERSIONALITY.........MY RIR AND BO IM GUESSING ARE BETWEEN 14-16 WEEKS....NO IDEA JUST A GUESS BUT NO EGGS FROM THEM EITHOR....WAS TOLD BOTHE WERE GIRLS...AFTER READING SOME POSTS SEEING SOME PICS AND NOT GETTING ANY EGGS.....ARE THERE ANY HENS HERE OR AM I GOING 2 HAVE TO MAKE SOME CHICKEN PARM THIS SUNDAY HAHA?? NO REALY IDE RATHER EGGS..THANKS FOR NE HELP
94519_windmill.jpg

94519_stinkeye.jpg

94519_rir.jpg

94519_pearch.jpg

94519_group.jpg

94519_br2-3.jpg

94519_br2-2.jpg

94519_bo.jpg

94519_br1.jpg

94519_br2.jpg

94519_1br2.jpg

94519_2br1.jpg

ugh thats what i thought when its been 4 weeks n no eggs...i was hoping seince they r so nice and havnt made any noise seince ive got them but it looks like im going 2 have 2 find them a new home or make sum chicken parm b4 they start acting like roos......any ideas of about how old they may be ???they are my first "hens" or should i say my first flock of Roos and a hen....thanks for the coop compliment i built it my self being 22 and from ct where i dont know any1 else with chix it was my first real project i did my self and am happy with it but as im sure every1 knows theres always something you woulda have done differant lol
94519_coopbaknside.jpg

94519_bak.jpg

x2 on the coop: really pretty and looks secure. I especially like the rifle adornment--is that there for quick access or as a warning
lol.png
?

I think the BO is a girl and I also am also RIR is a hen but not 100% as there isn't a really good shot of her. Now, chickens may lay at 14-16 weeks, but that is really young. I am guessing you will need to be patient and wait another 4-6 weeks for eggies from them. My girls always have started between 20 and more usually 24 weeks.

Ya know, the BR roos are really handsome! If you are allowed roos, you may want to hang on to them until they become obnoxious just in case one of them has a nice personality. They can be really good flock protectors and you can get babies. Warning: raising chickens and their acquisition can be a slippery slope (its called chicken math)-- I think you may need to add a couple of more hens! And start drawing up plans for expanding the chicken coop now
wink.png

its had b.c in north haven ct i dont think i can have roos on residential land even tho i have the room....i got so xcited i finished the coop and wanted hens so bad that the i got them the first chance i had....it was an auction so i couldnt ask any ?s but the 2 BR were $11ea. in a box 2 gether that said 2 hens...and the red and BO were 4 ina box wit 2 other black birds that said 4 chix....$6ea. but i didnt want all 4 so i helped an older guy carry all his boxes 2 his trailer and realy wanted a RI RED so he was sympathetic 2 the 22y/o newbie who was asking him a million ?s so he gave me the red and BO for $5 for helping him n he said he thought the red was a pullet but wasnt 100% eithor way i ended up with some very nice looking birdes in my oppinion unfourtinatly they are handsom and not pretty lol
hmm.png
but seince they dont act like roos and dont crow or fight im goena try n keep them as long as i can....being a chef i realy would like 2 make my famous chicken parm and xpeariance the act of "prepairing" fresh chicken for the first time but i wanted hens so i can get eggs and knew ide get attached 2 my first birds thats y ide rather find them a good home instead.....if any1 in ct wants them let me know /.............and as 4 the rifle its an air rifle 2 take care of the chipmunk problem as they steal my food and get in2 the a/c unit of my house and every summer i pay $300-700 2 repair it so the lil furballs go 2 the big forest in the sky lol even though in high school i was #6 in ct and all american rifle team i wont shoot at anything that doesnt cause problems and being a good shot i havnt had any problems with preditors @ the coop eithor i am a good very protective father 2 my girls or should i say girl lol

well due to the results i added 3 golden commet hens which i got from a liscenced breeder so i know that they r all hens as he told me that they are around 20 weeks old and have been laying for just about 5 weeks now...so i need to try and get rid of my roos soon the BR are goena be hard to get rid of but sum1 will be lucky to get them they r well behaved and not a single crow out of eithor of them but they are def the bosses of the flock with out being to bossy. they have great persionalities too they come right up 2 me when i go outside and wait by the fence for me to get there and are great with my other birds. not to mention that they r some sexy roosters and would prob make sum nice babies....still 50/50 on the ri red ..ill try and get a better pic of it but will prob get rid of that1 2 while its still young and docile. ofcourse if i keep the red it willl turn out to be a roo and if he goes it may after all turn out 2 be a pullet thats how it always works but at least now i know i def have 4 hens which was the original plan xcept for the fact that the plan called for 2 barred rock hens and now i have 3 commets and 1 BO but it still works ..i have a feeling that there are more on the way:lol
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom