1 round worm found in poop, must I deworm? I try to be organic

Would it be easier on the chickens if I used the ground-up pumpkin seeds to get rid of the worms, then Wazine next day, then ivermectin a week later, and lastly the Wormazole a week later?

I don't want to stress them. I have a 9 year old all the way down to 4 month olds who have only gotten DE in their food.

DE in the feed is truly useless against worms (use the search function for discussions and links to info on this).
Pumkin seeds are helpful in management/prevention but with an active case of worms you will need to medicate.

When using Flubenvet, is it ok to mix the required amount in their grain?
I imagine that it would just fall off the grain and they wouldn't get all of it
Thoughts please

I think it's very important to be careful with what we call things.

A wormer (antihelmetic) is always going to be a chemical solution to an infestation. There are currently no herbal or natural true antihelmetics.

A worm preventative (aid) is going to be natural things: DE, etc.

Saying that pumpkin seeds, cayenne, etc are 'wormers' is misleading and has several times on this very board led to some very infested birds who thereafter had to go through two or three worming processes.

Phyll'sFarmFamily :

Would it be easier on the chickens if I used the ground-up pumpkin seeds to get rid of the worms, then Wazine next day, then ivermectin a week later, and lastly the Wormazole a week later?

I don't want to stress them. I have a 9 year old all the way down to 4 month olds who have only gotten DE in their food.

I doubt it will be easier to sneak into this. I'd hit them all with a broad spectrum dewormer and then return to your normal pattern, precisely because A) if they have worms that badly, it affects their health negatively and B) sneaking up on the worms is not as effective as nuking them. If your chickens are infected heavily with parasites, then the parasites are doing more to stress their systems than the dewormer will. A good, broad spectrum medication like Ivermectin will be effective and reduce the parasite load immediately, and let your birds return to a state of health that you can carry on as you normally would.

As a point of order, once you've completed the cycle of deworming, within a week of doing so, do a complete change of bedding and clean up the run. This will remove -some- of the potential for immediate reinfection. If it freezes before then, so much the better.

I need to say that because your chickens got worms, it doesn't mean that you failed them. Parasites happen and no chicken is going to be completely free of them. Part of management is dealing with them, and dealing with the stressors that make them more susceptible to harmful parasite loads.

I do think that DE only is insufficient for long-term control of internal parasites. There are many people who use it with unrealistic expectations about its effectiveness and I believe that it has to be paired with some other agent that alters the environment of the gut in ways that are beneficial to the animal(by improving PH and/or intestinal flora) to be truly effective. It's one tool in the toolbox, and nothing more.​

I've ordered (and received today) some Rooster Booster to help build my birds up for a few days. By then the Verm-X will arrive, which I'll give them to get rid of any worms. I absolutely, positively don't want to give my birds anything that makes their meat and eggs toxic to humans for several weeks. Wild chickens certainly don't knock on doors looking for Wazine to help clear up their round worm problem, so there must be something natural that helps them purge their systems. I'm hoping that "something" is in Verm-X.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Phyll'sFarmFamily :

Again - the pumpkin seeds will NOT rid the bird of worms. Use wazine (that will kill adult rounds, not larvae). Then in 3-6 weeks later use the ivermectin. No need for wormazole after that. That's wayyyy too much stress on a digestive tract.

Every day that you worm, feed yogurt to replace good bacteria during the stress of a worming. It's helpful to FEED a cleansing flush of a little applesauce mixed into a damp mash (with the yogurt) the day after worming to help gently cleanse the digestive tract of paralyzed/dying worms, as well as cleaning out any undigested food particles, and the pectin in the applesauce (used once - you don't want to over cleanse) acts as a PREbiotic, encouraging the good bacteria to colonize and wipe out pathogenic bacteria and fungi.

So my suggestion:

wazine, 24 hours, one time - all birds.
Following day: yogurt mash (perhaps with some applesauce)

3 - 4 weeks later: Ivermectin pour-on (don't use the injectable orally - it moves too fast through the gut to be effective) or ivermectin-pyrantel if you have dogs/cats and can individually worm birds (horse paste).

Then in 3 months, evaluate all birds weights (You should do that weekly anyway) and if they're thin, you can reconsider worming but I wouldn't do it any more soon than that unless after 1 week has passed you're seeing worms being passed.

You will see worms passed for sometimes up to a week after worming (which is why I like to do the flush - to get them out sooner). that doesn't mean your birds are still infested. It means that the worms are coming out. If after a week it's still happening, I'd ask here about what to do.​

Quote:
Verm-X is not yet a proven wormer. It falls into the category of possibly very effective worm preventions. It's not an antihelmetic. Rooster booster (triple-action wormer) IS a wormer. Use that wormer, follow up with Verm-X to hopefully control populations inbetween worming.

Both are said to be non-withdrawal. Just note that wormers that don't require withdrawal also usually don't kill larvae or a broad range of species.

And again - worms are dreadfully more harmful to the digestive tract than occassional wormers. They cause chronic inflammation of the digestive tract that leads to anything from malabsorbtion of nutrients (slow starvation) to cancer (inflammatory cells).

Quote:
Again - the pumpkin seeds will NOT rid the bird of worms. Use wazine (that will kill adult rounds, not larvae). Then in 3-6 weeks later use the ivermectin. No need for wormazole after that. That's wayyyy too much stress on a digestive tract.

Every day that you worm, feed yogurt to replace good bacteria during the stress of a worming. It's helpful to FEED a cleansing flush of a little applesauce mixed into a damp mash (with the yogurt) the day after worming to help gently cleanse the digestive tract of paralyzed/dying worms, as well as cleaning out any undigested food particles, and the pectin in the applesauce (used once - you don't want to over cleanse) acts as a PREbiotic, encouraging the good bacteria to colonize and wipe out pathogenic bacteria and fungi.

So my suggestion:

wazine, 24 hours, one time - all birds.
Following day: yogurt mash (perhaps with some applesauce)

3 - 4 weeks later: Ivermectin pour-on (don't use the injectable orally - it moves too fast through the gut to be effective) or ivermectin-pyrantel if you have dogs/cats and can individually worm birds (horse paste).

Then in 3 months, evaluate all birds weights (You should do that weekly anyway) and if they're thin, you can reconsider worming but I wouldn't do it any more soon than that unless after 1 week has passed you're seeing worms being passed.

You will see worms passed for sometimes up to a week after worming (which is why I like to do the flush - to get them out sooner). that doesn't mean your birds are still infested. It means that the worms are coming out. If after a week it's still happening, I'd ask here about what to do.

Fantastic advice. Thanks. I just copied and printed your suggestion.

I recently found round worms in the poop of two of my hens. I wormed them with Wazine about 3 months ago, but I didn't follow through after that as I should have. I'm going to treat them again this weekend and follow up with Safeguard.

Now, here's my question. I have a mother hen with 3 week old chicks who pooped a round worm last week. She's constantly with her chicks, so I'm assuming the chicks either have been infected or will be soon. How should I proceed with worming her with Wazine when she's with her chicks constantly. Can 3 week old chicks ingest Wazine safely?

Quote:
Thank you! It's hard won by years of trying things one way, another way, researching, and learning exactly what the mechanism of 'wormers' and preventatives are.

And yes, Wazine (piperazine) because it doesn't kill larvae is actually made to be used repeatedly to catch the next batch of larvae to develop. But rather than repeatedly worming for adults, I do really like a followup with what I call a "broad spectrum" wormer with a larvaecide in it. SafeGuard (fenbendazole) is a good choice. Some sites are even stating that the 'zoles might have tapeworm effectiveness. That's a whole other post about tapeworms and how they differ from other parasites.
smile.png
But at least that's hopeful, and SafeGuard is just a great product to have around.

I like to try to rotate that and ivermectin over a couple of years to make sure that there's little to no resistance.

Back
Top Bottom