1 Week Old Chick Dying HELP!

Griff63

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2020
Hello I am new to this community and am a first time chicken raiser. I just bought four, 1 day old chicks a week ago, and put them in a box with a heat lamp, bedding, and food and water. Everything was going well until I noticed one of my chicks, the biggest actually, was not acting like her usual self. All she wants to do is sleep. When the other chicks play, she sleeps. She sleeps mostly standing up, then nods off and wakes herself up. She wasnt eating drinking or pooping either. I researched a bit and decided her symptoms seemed similar to symptoms of Cocci. I went and bought Corvid immediately, and put some in the chicks water. I also took a small syringe and gave her some of the medication through that. I did this twice, and the second time when i put her back in her cage she ate a bit. The problem though is that when she ate she seemed like she was having a hard time swallowing and kept opening and closing her mouth for a bit. Then she went back to sleep. I am planning to give her more Corvid water in the morning, but should I be concerned about the swallowing? I am new to all this and dont know what to do. Please help and give any advice if you can.

Where did you get them from?

I don’t think they are old enough to have contracted coccidiosis

Welcome to BYC

What are you feeding them and what kind of bedding is it?

Hello I am new to this community and am a first time chicken raiser. I just bought four, 1 day old chicks a week ago, and put them in a box with a heat lamp, bedding, and food and water. Everything was going well until I noticed one of my chicks, the biggest actually, was not acting like her usual self. All she wants to do is sleep. When the other chicks play, she sleeps. She sleeps mostly standing up, then nods off and wakes herself up. She wasnt eating drinking or pooping either. I researched a bit and decided her symptoms seemed similar to symptoms of Cocci. I went and bought Corvid immediately, and put some in the chicks water. I also took a small syringe and gave her some of the medication through that. I did this twice, and the second time when i put her back in her cage she ate a bit. The problem though is that when she ate she seemed like she was having a hard time swallowing and kept opening and closing her mouth for a bit. Then she went back to sleep. I am planning to give her more Corvid water in the morning, but should I be concerned about the swallowing? I am new to all this and dont know what to do. Please help and give any advice if you can.
If you plan to dose Corid. Give all your chicks it in their waterer. Per Instruction. But they seem a little young. Isolate this one and give her some electrolyte and probiotic through the oral syringe. Check on her once in a while and if she is not eating maybe mash up some feed and feed it
I may be wrong
No need to worry about choking. What type of feed?

Where did you get them from?

I don’t think they are old enough to have contracted coccidiosis

Welcome to BYC

What are you feeding them and what kind of bedding is it?
We got them from a local feed store in town. They were the only ones left in the cage. We are feeding them starter feed from the feed store. It is small brown pellets. Their bedding is bedding used for rodents and bunnies, small wood chips. Thank you for replying!

We got them from a local feed store in town. They were the only ones left in the cage. We are feeding them starter feed from the feed store. It is small brown pellets. Their bedding is bedding used for rodents and bunnies, small wood chips. Thank you for replying!

Starter feed should be crumbled. Do you have a picture? Or at least the name of the feed?

The box is relatively small, about 2 by 3 feet. The heat lamp is placed directly above the box. We took the temperature of the box and it is around 95 degrees. The lamp is a foot or so above the box. There isnt really any shade.

The box is relatively small, about 2 by 3 feet. The heat lamp is placed directly above the box. We took the temperature of the box and it is around 95 degrees. The lamp is a foot or so above the box. There isnt really any shade.

They will need an area that is cooler than 95 just in case some are a little more hot than the others. I usually try to put the heat source on one end of the brooder so they can get close or get away as needed.

Is the heat lamp in the middle of on the end of the box?
You will want it on the end so that they can get away from the heat when they need to.
How tall is the box?

Back
Top Bottom