1 week old chicks failure to thrive? But Just threw down on baby mealworms???!!!

So, I am heartbroken, 2 days ago I saw an ad and went to pick up a few silkies. Well needless to say I was horrified seeing the conditions and the hoarding around in around the house. Even when I went to see the chicks there was one dead in the brooder. Went through saw only 2 white silkies and I could not snatch them up to get them out of there.

They are TINY! He told me they came from McMurray Hatchery, and they were born Monday. They are so week, won’t eat, won’t drink. I feel they will for sure not survive.

I am giving them a few drops of electrolytes every hour or so and they drink. Have given them a few drops of Nutridrench, some coconut oil. They won’t eat raw or cooked egg.

So I just walked into the room. One baby was laying on its back, legs splayed, panting because it was cooking under the heat lamp!! I was horrified pulled it out I thought it was going to die right there.

I breed mealworms and fruit flies for my reptiles and figured what the hell I will offer some baby mealworms. They both got up and ran over and gobbling down worms!!! And then nibbled on some crumbles in the process. Much more active now. Chirping like crazy, I put in a stuffed frog just now and they love it.

The question is, do I have hope they can make it?
I ought some new chick's a year ago. I don't remember which hatchery. I was offering hick crumble, but lost one chick right away and 2 were weak. One had bumble leg. Then by observation, I realized the feed was too course and they could not swallow it. I put some feed, in my high speed blender until it was much finer. The little guys went to town on that. I had no more losses after that.

I ought some new chick's a year ago. I don't remember which hatchery. I was offering hick crumble, but lost one chick right away and 2 were weak. One had bumble leg. Then by observation, I realized the feed was too course and they could not swallow it. I put some feed, in my high speed blender until it was much finer. The little guys went to town on that. I had no more losses after that.

Ahhh! That is a grand idea and makes complete since! Definitely doing it!

Thank you for this! After grinding some crumbles she is eating a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom