1 week olds "charging" each other?

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
I have four chicks, just over a week old. They are in a very large clear plastic bin. I've noticed over the last few days that they charge at each other. Does pecking order start so young? They seem to stretch themselves as tall as they can and charge at each other as if to say "I'm bigger and stronger!!". I didn't expect to see this in them so young. (they are "pullets" if we're in the 90% lucky group)

Lol. Yup. Mine do similar things. And they all fight over what they think is the "best" opening at the feeder. Looks the same as all the other openings to my human eyes but what do I know? Oh, and fight over the "best" spot on the perch. And the "best" place to sleep on the ground. Too funny to watch. I had no idea it started this young either. Thankfully its all pretty mild picking so far, no injuries.

It's hard to watch, isn't it? We managed to work it all out without any injuries here. The closest we came was right before they moved to their coop. They were getting overcrowded in their brooder and that's always problematic.

Quote:
X2 yes normal.......................... don't freak out and do anything that is silly, they are and will be fine.

My older 3 didn't really start this until they were older(9 weeks). They constantly are bumping chests and challenging each other.

Quote:
X2 yes normal.......................... don't freak out and do anything that is silly, they are and will be fine.

Yes, very normal. Working out the pecking order starts immediately.

This is very reassuring to me! Thanks for this thread. My ladies (fingers crossed) have been in their big girl coop for just a week now and since moving in I've noticed two of them chest-bumping and chasing each other. I didn't have a clue what this meant and was thinking I had ended up with a couple of roos. So glad to hear this is normal pullet behavior, they are 9 weeks old now, and I look forward to knowing with out a doubt that they are all girls
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom