1 wk Runt Silkie Chick - suspected spraddle leg/curly toes. could be neuro??

View attachment 2645735
his first set of little boots... we kept these on for about a day then checked don't them. one foot, the toes were much less curled. the others we decided to use just bandaids rather than cardboard so he could walk easier (he is an active little guy!)
Keep ‘em on for a while, they’re like braces, they need to stay on so the toes will turn out right!

Keep ‘em on for a while, they’re like braces, they need to stay on so the toes will turn out right!
thank you!
the little guy is still kicking but had become a full time job, lol. I spoke to a vet who told me to do this 'platform' splint, foam brace between the top of the leg then wrapping the leg downward to help straighten the legs and keep him in a cup for 5 days. I took him out today and his legs are still super wonky. he doesn't seem to have any ability balance on his legs at all.

I have a feeling there is a full leg issues.... perhaps hips and hocks etc.

his bad leg is now fully hyperextended, bends backward. and his good leg doesn't seem to bend all that nicely either.

but he's still somehow content and loves his food and his warmth and his buddies (supervised visits) and myself.

I'm not sure what to do for the poor guy at this point. I can't imagine there is ANOTHER fix I can try. he's so mentally alert but his legs are all bummed up. I've tried everything.

thank you!
the little guy is still kicking but had become a full time job, lol. I spoke to a vet who told me to do this 'platform' splint, foam brace between the top of the leg then wrapping the leg downward to help straighten the legs and keep him in a cup for 5 days. I took him out today and his legs are still super wonky. he doesn't seem to have any ability balance on his legs at all.

I have a feeling there is a full leg issues.... perhaps hips and hocks etc.

his bad leg is now fully hyperextended, bends backward. and his good leg doesn't seem to bend all that nicely either.

but he's still somehow content and loves his food and his warmth and his buddies (supervised visits) and myself.

I'm not sure what to do for the poor guy at this point. I can't imagine there is ANOTHER fix I can try. he's so mentally alert but his legs are all bummed up. I've tried everything.
He may be able to be fixed, so keep looking. He might just be like that his whole life, or maybe you’ll find something that can fix him. I don’t know what to do, so I hope someone else posts something you can do. What is his/her name?

The leg bone deformity cannot be fixed, so I would spare him the splinting. Glad his toes are improved. The B complex or super B is economical and only 1/4 tablet daily is needed. That can be dissolved in a spoonful of water and given orally or in a bit of food. Polyvisol is fine but expensive.

It sounds like a twisted tibia or leg bone. Here is some reading about this common problem:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

He may be able to be fixed, so keep looking. He might just be like that his whole life, or maybe you’ll find something that can fix him. I don’t know what to do, so I hope someone else posts something you can do. What is his/her name?
his name is Mumble. my kids named him because of the funny way he walks, like in Happy Feet. lol

he is not walking anymore, but did walk when he was younger. (not sure of he's actually a he but have just taken to that!) I would be alright with raising a special needs chicken, we are homeschoolers and homesteaders and do have the time and means to do so. I'm just at that line of what is fair for this little guy or not.

I've wondered if I should take him out of the chick chair for a bit to see if he can build up some strength but I am not sure if that is the right move. He's not stable enough to stand he just falls, but I wonder if he would try if he had some time?

I'll add some updated photos in case anyone who reads this is able to weigh in. if culling is really the best option I am alright with hearing that, I definitely don't want to, but if it's the kindest option and there really is no aid for him, then it is what it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518_151640_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518_151640_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210518_151651_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518_151651_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210518_151636_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518_151636_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210518_151646_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518_151646_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 10
The leg bone deformity cannot be fixed, so I would spare him the splinting. Glad his toes are improved. The B complex or super B is economical and only 1/4 tablet daily is needed. That can be dissolved in a spoonful of water and given orally or in a bit of food. Polyvisol is fine but expensive.

It sounds like a twisted tibia or leg bone. Here is some reading about this common problem:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers
thank you very much. he's been on poly vi and b complex since you suggested so.

I've also tried some vitamin D and getting him in the sun lots too in case of the off chance of rickets sort of things. I have probably read every thread and article out there at this point and I think you're right about the twisted tibia or that is at least part of it :( I fear he may have more than one issue.

he was an assisted hatch from a friend's farm. he took 2 days to emerge. I wanted to help so I have been nursing the heck out of him, but I didn't expect him to last this long if he wasn't meant to. but here we are.

sorry for all of my typos, by the way! for some reason the keyboard on this app does not work well lol.

his name is Mumble. my kids named him because of the funny way he walks, like in Happy Feet. lol

he is not walking anymore, but did walk when he was younger. (not sure of he's actually a he but have just taken to that!) I would be alright with raising a special needs chicken, we are homeschoolers and homesteaders and do have the time and means to do so. I'm just at that line of what is fair for this little guy or not.

I've wondered if I should take him out of the chick chair for a bit to see if he can build up some strength but I am not sure if that is the right move. He's not stable enough to stand he just falls, but I wonder if he would try if he had some time?

I'll add some updated photos in case anyone who reads this is able to weigh in. if culling is really the best option I am alright with hearing that, I definitely don't want to, but if it's the kindest option and there really is no aid for him, then it is what it is.
It doesn't look like there is anything you can do. Poor Mumble! :( Let him walk around for a little twice each day to build up muscles. Growing chickies still need to work out Mumble, even if they're deformed! I hope he survives. :hugsMake sure he is still hanging around his sibs, but don't let them pick on him. He might be able to find some way to walk, but he is still going to need lots of babying when he grows up, just as if he were a toddler who can't walk well, even though he's a grown up. :jumpy
Can you get some pics of his back/comb/wattle? I want to see if he's really a cockerel.

It doesn't look like there is anything you can do. Poor Mumble! :( Let him walk around for a little twice each day to build up muscles. Growing chickies still need to work out Mumble, even if they're deformed! I hope he survives. :hugsMake sure he is still hanging around his sibs, but don't let them pick on him. He might be able to find some way to walk, but he is still going to need lots of babying when he grows up, just as if he were a toddler who can't walk well, even though he's a grown up. :jumpy
Can you get some pics of his back/comb/wattle? I want to see if he's really a cockerel.

not the best photos but just got these while he was having his dinner. he's messy of course, I'm choosing my battles when it comes to cleaning him up, lol. less stress the better.

he's been on egg yolk, flax, fish oil, vitamin B supplements, kefir + chick starter, a bit of oats here and there too. oh and some tuna and salmon when we've eaten it for dinner.

his digestion has been great and his growth has been slow but steady.

his legs used to be much more under him :( since he's grown more they've seemed to have warped more. I'll send a photo of his two siblings also who I got from my friend as well. they are healthy and at their awkward teenage stage.

they are all silkie mixes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_162859.jpg
    IMG_20210518_162859.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210518_162739.jpg
    IMG_20210518_162739.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom