1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 YEAR OLD FEMALE BLACK LAB, HASN'T BEEN SPAYED..HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mystery Peepers, May 13, 2009.

1. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    An unspayed dog that gets loose or is tied out is a future mother dog. PLEASE get her spayed! It may also make it a little easier to control her as she may be getting loose to look for a daddy.

Our trick for dealing with this is to anticipate the jumping (you need to be an adult to teach this) and as soon as she goes up, raise your knee quickly and thump her in the chest. It will knock her backwards without hurting her. Accompany this with a loud "no!" It takes a little practice for you and her, but I have never had a dog that this didn't work with.

In my experience turning around and ignoring the behavior, even walking away (especially if they're contained)...will get a faster response than putting up your knee. They are looking for attention and even negative attention will do....the knee will work eventually, but they'll learn faster if they get completely ignored when they behave that way.

Everything else is pretty much on the money. It sounds like she gets basically no exercise and needs a LOT. To get her to be able to walk and come back if she is loose, I would start by working on "come" while she is on a training line (even if it is secured to the ground in some way). A training line will allow you to get her attention if she isn't listening, and is a way to reel her in. Find her favorite food and use that as her reward....do NOT give it to her if she isn't doing something for you! There is a lot more to training that was is going to get mentioned in this thread...you really should at least take her to a training class.....or at the very least get a couple training books or find some good training websites.​

2. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    She will rest after surgery as much as she needs to

Not necessarily....I've known a lot of dogs that did themselves a lot of damage by trying to do too much too soon. She will need to be contained to an area that she doesn't have room to run around.​

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

If you "freak out" whenever you see her, she's going to do the same. Try using calm words and gestures instead of raising your voice or chasing her. She sees chasing and running around as fun! Because of this, if you chase her, she will run.

The training collar does work. We used it on a male black lab we fostered for a year. We got it at Wal-Mart. It has different levels of correction (including just a beep) and has a booklet with instructions on how to train using the collar.

If all else fails, you may want to see if a local duck hunter wants her as a "project" dog since she loves water. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try calling a local shelter or rescue group and see if they have a trainer or volunteers. If so I bet someone will help get you started. At the very least help you get her to the vet for the spay. Or even talk to the vet, they may also be able to help you. Don't even think about another dog until you learn to train this one.

5. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    As the owner of a Chocolate Lab I feel your pain. The FIRST thing you need to do is get her fixed ASAP. If it takes a few strong guys to help get her to the vet - do it! Did I read she has a kennel? You can put her in that while she is healing after surgery. Please do not put her on a chain - I don't believe in this for any reason - period.

Then you NEED to start on training her. If you can't afford a pro trainer, then I recommend you take her to PetSmart or PetCo - It's better than nothing at all. If you and your dad are committed to training her yourselves, then gather all information (books, Internet, etc.) on obedience training. Contact a lab rescue group, maybe they can help you.

My lab a year old and has very high energy and very is smart and very hard headed. She's been through two obedience courses and she will still test me everyday! These dogs need a high amount of exercise and mental stimulation. My motto is "A tired puppy in a good puppy."

Training a dog like this take patience and persistence! Good luck!

Joan

6. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks again for the great advice!
    No, she dosen't have a kennel, and the closest petco, or petsmart is 1 1/2 hours away. It would take ALOT to get her to one of those. If we get her fixed, will she calm down any? We know a few duck hunters. We live about 3 miles from the kentucky lake. thanks again.

-M.P.

7. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    theres an excellent website its called nilif(nothing in life is free)
    just type in nilif

8. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Some one needs to take responsiblilty and start training this dog. She needs a alpha leader and there is a way to be disciplined without being cruel. A good start is to begin a routine with her. Start by taking her for small walks on a leash and do not let her run loose til she has gained your trust to do so. This takes work but it can be done. She needs exercise and perhaps get a ultrasound training collar. These are a little expensive but they do work.

9. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Some people say that getting their dogs fixed will "ruin" them and make them "fat and lazy." That is totally not true! It prevents them from reproducing and contributing to the pet over-population. Your dog will calm down with obedience and age.

Can you buy a large crate for her? They are pricey but she would be contained after surgery and you wouldn't have to worry about her ripping her stitches out.

If you don't feel like you can handle her or not committed to teaching her then I would definitely try and find her a good home, (a duck hunter would be perfect) preferable with someone who has experience with labs. I'm really not being negative or trying to insult, but believe me when I say it takes commitment and persistence!

I wish you the best of luck with her!

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    We found that the best way to calm down a dog...was to bring them into the house.

We've done this with 2 black labs, one 100 lb. lab and one 120 lbs. lab. They aren't your "specially bred" labs either...they're labs from the shelter or freebies.

What do you mean you can't get the dog into the vet? Will he not allow you into the schedule? If not...then look up your local spaying area. We have one called "Spay Oklahoma" or "Spay Arkansas". They will put you on the list and usually give a discount on the spaying.

Next, I don't really care what the excuse is, make her do something FOR you. Whether it is sit and stay before you enter her area...whatever. Make her please you before you give her attention.

Teaching a dog to sit, lay down, etc. is NOT hard. Walking a dog and teaching them to walk on a leash is NOT hard.

If you must, get a pinch collar to get her attention. It works better than the choke collar and will not cut off the air to her trachea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by