1 year old hen suddenly laying tiny eggs

LT

Songster
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
West Fork
I have a Cherry Egger that is a little over a year old. Her eggs have always been smaller than the rest of the flock, but usually in the medium to large range. For the last three days, she has laid a tiny egg, about the size of a robin's egg. Nothing has changed in their diet, except that they have been free-ranging more lately. What would cause this and will she go back to laying normally?

Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium member
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
The only ideas I have are stress, lack of water or calcium and dirty living areas. I had a hen once who's eggs shrunk due to lack of water and calcium. Hope she starts up again:)

LT

Songster
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
West Fork
They have plenty of water and calcium, but we did have an overnight thunderstorm a couple of nights ago, and that is when she laid the first one. Maybe the hard rain and hail on the metal roof of the hen house stressed her?

olijo123

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
WV
It is most likely stress. It may also be that she is lacking something in her diet???? Not sure but I have had this happen to me before. After awhile it went away. Hope she gets straightened out!

Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium member
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
They have plenty of water and calcium, but we did have an overnight thunderstorm a couple of nights ago, and that is when she laid the first one. Maybe the hard rain and hail on the metal roof of the hen house stressed her?

That might be the case

Lydia77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
On a mountain in West Virginia
I have found 2 tiny eggs in the box. My hens have plenty of water, food and pretty clean living. Their diet consists of layered crumbles, scratch corn, and then every day I give them fresh kale or other garden vegetables ..... they eat very good. I am very confused by this.

Top Bottom