1 yr old Leghorn × EE hen limping, out of breath, refusing to eat, clear and watery stool??

tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
(warning for picture of chicken anus???)
One of our hens has been in a bit of a funk for the past few days (a little low energy, detached from the others) and we just dealt with it by giving her some electrolytes and keeping an eye on her. Today though she was completely off-- her walk is very stuttered and she's unable to walk in a straight line. She's pretty low energy and listless (if we walk in front of her she won't move). She hasn't been pooping solids at all--when she poops its completely liquid and completely clear, or with some bits of yellow in it. She hasn't been eating or drinking at all--we syringe fed her some electrolytes and she ate a little bit of rice, but that's the extent of it. She's also panting occasionally (to the point where it slightly rocks her entire body). Any ideas of what she could have or how to treat her??
We've taken her inside the garage and she was also given an epsom salt bath earlier. We're thinking she's having difficulty passing an egg/maybe one broke inside her? Any and all responses are much appreciated, thank you in advance!!
received_283937749895265.jpeg
20210407_154423.jpg
20210407_153724.jpg

hi,
sorry to hear that your hen is ill, also sorry nobody replied.
may i ask you a few questions? how old is your bird? has she been vacenated for anything? when was the last time she layed? have you checked her crop?
although i do not have much experince with chicken diseases, here is one thing i recommend:
-check her crop, if it is full in the morning before she has eaten this may be a bad sign. if her crop isn't emptying during the night and filling during the day, she may have crop issues. here is a good artical.
@WallacetheKhakiCampbell @WyandotteH @Wyorp Rock @TropicalBabies @RUNuts can you think of anything?

Oh no! Im so sorry! Is she still alive? I have not dealt with this specifically but if I had to guess I would agree with what you are saying. I would expect an egg broke inside her. Again, I don't have real experience with this. Looks like little bits of egg and water are getting through but the egg is mostly jamming it up. I think the only way to clear this is to put on some rubber gloves. Rub vaseline/some type of safe oil on your gloves and see if you cant gently pull out the egg. It may be difficult but try to make sure you don't just rib small parts away. Also, before you get to aggressive looking just try to feel around to confirm this.

How long has this been going on exactly? And can you feel any internal eggs by feeling her abdomen?

I hope some part of this could have given you some idea. Im really sorry you're dealing with this. Good luck! :(

(I also thing sour crop might be something to look into)

(warning for picture of chicken anus???)
One of our hens has been in a bit of a funk for the past few days (a little low energy, detached from the others) and we just dealt with it by giving her some electrolytes and keeping an eye on her. Today though she was completely off-- her walk is very stuttered and she's unable to walk in a straight line. She's pretty low energy and listless (if we walk in front of her she won't move). She hasn't been pooping solids at all--when she poops its completely liquid and completely clear, or with some bits of yellow in it. She hasn't been eating or drinking at all--we syringe fed her some electrolytes and she ate a little bit of rice, but that's the extent of it. She's also panting occasionally (to the point where it slightly rocks her entire body). Any ideas of what she could have or how to treat her??
We've taken her inside the garage and she was also given an epsom salt bath earlier. We're thinking she's having difficulty passing an egg/maybe one broke inside her? Any and all responses are much appreciated, thank you in advance!!View attachment 2604031View attachment 2604027View attachment 2604026
Hi! I am so sorry no one has seen this post to respond. I am still a fledgling myself but have picked up on a few things through the last few years.
When was the last time she laid? Sounds like she has an egg issue. If it were me I would first give her some calcium in the form of a tums or calcium crushed on something that she will eat. Get some calcium down her.
Feel her abdomen for hardness or swelling.
Next I would give her a mildly warm soak 10+ minutes if you can and after she relaxes feel for an egg or pieces. Use gloves, coco oil or Vaseline to lube your smallest finger.
The egg may be up to 2 " inside.
Where are you from? Posting location is very helpful.

After put her in a quiet and laying friendly place and let the calcium kick in. I don't think she has a broken egg, just bound. The calcium will stimulate her -like a laxative, warm bath to relax her and quiet place to do her thing in peace. Make sure it is not too hot.

You did great with the electrolytes. Keep us posted :hugs

Last edited:
@WallacetheKhakiCampbell and @RUNuts sorry for the late update, this is tasnim2005 sibling. The hen in the picture died the same day this thread was posted, I’d say around 3 hours after this was posted I believe before anyone replied. She started panting heavily and basically spazzing out and pooping a lot more of the broken egg and liquid, til she eventually just collapsed. We feel good that we tried everything we could before she passed, but thank you guys for your responses, you too @TropicalBabies and @cooingdove !!

Condolences to all. The hazard of raising chickens and livestock. The chickens are bred for egg laying and sometimes nature takes over. I've lost several good hens to broken shells, lash eggs and reproductive disease. Enjoy the time you spend with them.

@WallacetheKhakiCampbell and @RUNuts sorry for the late update, this is tasnim2005 sibling. The hen in the picture died the same day this thread was posted, I’d say around 3 hours after this was posted I believe before anyone replied. She started panting heavily and basically spazzing out and pooping a lot more of the broken egg and liquid, til she eventually just collapsed. We feel good that we tried everything we could before she passed, but thank you guys for your responses, you too @TropicalBabies and @cooingdove !!
Oh no! Im sorry! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom