10/9 UPDATE #29 .....4 week old chick injured Graphic pic

If you have to rinse her because she is covered with blood rinse everything EXCEPT the scab. It is a good idea to skip the betadine and use the neosporin. Betadine is good for the first and second cleaning but not after that because it is so strong it will impair healing it not only kills germs, it kills the new skin cells that are trying to grow.

Spinach is an excellent idea. I was hoping the Poly Vi Sol would have all the vitamins she needs for maybe not. Plus the spinach will make her big and strong like Popeye.

Will do.
LOL picturing her with big muscles like Popeye
ya.gif

Today we gave her her daily poli vi sol and changed the bandage. It had been 3 days since we changed it. It looks a lot better.
Still seeping blood a bit but not dripping. The main area of the wound is a black looking scab. We put neosporin on it and rewrapped it.

She is growing her tail feathers much slower than the other pullets but I figure that is because her body is putting the energy into healing the wound.
Hope you have a great day
Rhonda

The bleeding has subsided for a few days the scap is big and black and where in the beginning it looked like a marble the swelling is now spread out a bit and mostly under the scab. But it is firm.
I was looking ( again) at Ruths post on bumblefoot and think it looks a lot like that :S
Posted there to see if that is possible.

I've taken a look at your photos and while bumblefoot typically is in the feet and contains a "bumble" or kernel that is the source of the problem - they can get abcessed infection from any kind of injury that will look the same and need to be treated the same - meaning: clean out the wound, possibly lance deep into the swollen area over the wound in order to get out all infection - then pack with Neosporin and wrap.

I've cleaned up many swollen body parts on the chickens that weren't bumble - just abcessed infection. When a chicken gets an infection it doesn't stay a liquid puss like humans would - it turns to a rubbery, cottage-cheese consistency and builds up and needs to be cleaned out.

Hope this helps. Her leg looks pretty bad and shouldn't be bleeding after this long. Which to me indicates an infection in there that isn't healing. If it were me, since she's already bleeding, I would cut into the wound and see if there is something that needs to be cleaned out.

Good luck.

Well it still wasn't healing right and the lump was growing so I operated on her. DH help hold her and she did great. I do have pictures but I'm at work and the camera is at home. I'll post them soon.
I think I got the whole mass off. It was hard to tell and I didn't want to cut into her muscle to much. After I put neosporin on it and wrapped. We have changed the bandage ever day and it is looking good I think.

edited to add : If I ever see a chick with something like this again. I'll not wait and just cut it off. Dealing with this so long has caused her to be a lot smaller than the other Cuckoo Marans pullets we have. I am giving her poli vi sol to try to help and she is eating and walking out into the run with the others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom