10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Afternoon chilling. Three of my four Woodies. The other one is in the outside run chilling by the pool or chasing flies. Dynamics have changed this year, and she is still part of the group but also the odd-girl out. I added more swimming places so she can have a good splash and floating time.

20210521_185957.jpg

Afternoon chilling. Three of my four Woodies. The other one is in the outside run chilling by the pool or chasing flies. Dynamics have changed this year, and she is still part of the group but also the odd-girl out. I added more swimming places so she can have a good splash and floating time.

View attachment 2682072
They are beautiful!! I have 2 left from 9-10 sadly. One is not doing well so I don’t know if he will make it...

That's got to be awful. Mine squawk for each other even when they're in the next "room" or alone. Can you find another hen?
Not until fall. She had problems walking one day when she was still laying eggs I think she got egg bound. I warmed her in the tub for a few minutes then put her under heat in a big bin within 12 hours she was fine. A couple weeks later while sitting eggs she had the same issue but didn't recover. I think she may have broke an egg internally. I still have the only 2 viable eggs of hers in the incubator, I hope they hatch.

Not until fall. She had problems walking one day when she was still laying eggs I think she got egg bound. I warmed her in the tub for a few minutes then put her under heat in a big bin within 12 hours she was fine. A couple weeks later while sitting eggs she had the same issue but didn't recover. I think she may have broke an egg internally. I still have the only 2 viable eggs of hers in the incubator, I hope they hatch.
I hope they hatch too. That's so scary. A couple of mine lay eggs, but I don't let them hatch. One went broody, and the chickens didn't like her occupying the nesting box all that time. She ended up with some sores on her back from chicken attacks. I isolated her for a week in a small dog crate to let her heal. At least that was something I could help. I can't imagine how tough it was for you.

Back
Top Bottom