10 females/2 Males per cage. Will this work?

Feb 17, 2021
I was planning on raising quail mostly for eggs to eat but would like to have the option to hatch out eggs as well. The cages we're building will be big enough for 12-15 quail each, so I was planning on 10 Females and 2 males per cage. Will having 2 males in together cause problems? Can I keep the males in with the females at all times? Should I just assume that if I do keep them with my females that all eggs are fertile, or do I need to have a breeder specific cage for times that we're ready for another hatching?

I keep 2 males with 10 and 12 hens respectively. They do fine, some males don’t get along some do, if one is a trouble maker he gets invited to dinner. The key is having a lot of hiding places and places that break line of sight. Mine love cinder blocks and they provide great opportunities for hides, shelters, and disappearing during a chase.

I keep 2 males with 10 and 12 hens respectively. They do fine, some males don’t get along some do, if one is a trouble maker he gets invited to dinner. The key is having a lot of hiding places and places that break line of sight. Mine love cinder blocks and they provide great opportunities for hides, shelters, and disappearing during a chase.
If your cage is big enough with enough hiding places, this can work too. I had two males together for two months before one decided to try and overthrow the order. He was invited to dinner.

I have a coop with four males and four females, along with a couple of pheasants. They're sort of my 'spares'. I give them plenty of space and places to hide though. If you're planning to keep two males together, they'll need more space than you would otherwise need for two separate groups. If raising them for meat, it may be more efficient to keep males separate from each other.

I have 3 males and 10 females so far it is working, they have thing to hide behind, I think it depends on the the males, I had some who did not get along with the other males. I also have 1 male with 1 female weirdly that also is working I tried putting more females in with him but he kept attacking them. I woukd advise if you try it to have some way of splitting them up if they don’t get along.
What are the dimensions of the cage?

I have 3 males and 10 females so far it is working, they have thing to hide behind, I think it depends on the the males, I had some who did not get along with the other males. I also have 1 male with 1 female weirdly that also is working I tried putting more females in with him but he kept attacking them. I woukd advise if you try it to have some way of splitting them up if they don’t get along.
What are the dimensions of the cage?
We are still building it but it'll be 2 feet deep and between 6-8ft long. One end will have a little built in house.

Build a divider. It's better to have each male with their own harem. If you're planning ahead, build 2 dividers. Quail have their own distinct preferences.
We're in the process of building now, so we can definitely make a divider. The problem is that one side of the cage has a little built in house and the other side wouldn't have that. I guess we can try to figure out how to add that too. My husband might leave me for constantly changing my designs though 😆

We are still building it but it'll be 2 feet deep and between 6-8ft long. One end will have a little built in house.
I have mine in a 2ft by 8ft run.
If you are willing to cull any males who don’t work then I would try it.
If you do try it then make sure you have at least one temporary cage so you can take one or more out if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom