$10 homemade incubator!

The cooler is fairly thick, so the room temp doesn't really affect the inside temp. Thank you :)

Regular bulbs were getting too hot plus it saves electricity. I've always used CFLs and had good hatches

Probably doesn't save money since what makes the CLF cheaper is that it losses less electric to heat per luminous then an incandescent. Since the point is to make heat & light is the wasted by product & nothing that I know of is more efficient at making heat then an incandescent light bulb.

Power consumption in a controller environment would be interesting. Since the CLF screw in bulbs do produce quite a bit of heat still but aren't built to withstand it you are likely shortening their life. You may stand a risk of fire keeping it enclosed. It should have a warning on the box & or bulb about this. I've seen very few of the curly ones that went out because the element burnt. They usually go out from the electronics burning.

You may have already considered these things. It's just the variables running through my head as I type and consider the concept.

You needed a dimmer and or a smaller INCANDECENT bulb.
As covered a CFL was a poor choice.

Last edited:
I'm not doging it. You've already said you tested it & it works. I'm actually impressed. It isn't something I'd even thought to try.

Good luck with your hatch.

Update. Here's a candling pic on day 8

Back
Top Bottom