10 month old hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anaf, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Anaf

Anaf In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    Hi all! My speckled sussex hen (Dulce) has not laid an egg for a few months now. She started laying around 6 months old and laid for nearly two months, before stopping abruptly. She eats and drinks normally, she is VERY talkative. She still often does the submissive squat when I simply walk past her, although I am not sure if this is relevant. I have however noticed that all my chickens shake their heads quite often. I understand that this could be either due to ear lice or respiratory illness?? But my other hens lay daily and have been doing so since POL. I also note that there is nothing unusual about Dulce's droppings. Should I be concerned about her?? I do not have any decent poultry vets nearby hence why I am asking here :))

NxthiTsab and penny1960 like this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Could you post a few photos please also tell us where you live as days getting shorter will cause a bird not to lay

ChickNanny13, Anaf and Sequel like this.
  3. Anaf

Anaf In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    I'll take some photos of her droppings tomorrow if that is what you mean by photos? I live in New Zealand where it is Spring, going into Summer. I've attached some photos of Dulce in the meantime :) FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

ChickNanny13, NxthiTsab and Sue S like this.
  4. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Her wattles etc are pretty red, meaning she might have a secret nest. Have you checked her vent (moist) or her pelvic spread (I recall three fingers width if they are laying but not sure)?

She sure looks healthy, so I’m going with possible secret nest unless she is always locked in a run that you can see every last corner and inch of ground.

ChickNanny13, Anaf and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ChickNanny13, Anaf and Acre4Me like this.
  6. Anaf

Anaf In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    That's an excellent point, never thought of that! I'll to scan the run for any hiding place!

ChickNanny13, Acre4Me and penny1960 like this.
  7. Anaf

Anaf In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    Her pelvic spread is three fingers and the distance between her keel and vent is four/five fingers. Her vent is also moist. There are definitely no secret nests in the run either :/

Acre4Me and penny1960 like this.
  8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    then she is not ready be patient it will happen but this time of year some will wait for spring same thing I am facing now with the old gals in molt no one is laying of 26

Anaf likes this.
  9. Anaf

Anaf In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    The only thing is that she did start laying at 6 months old, and then stopped laying two months ago. I guess you might be right; she may haven taken a break to start again in a few months as we head into summer. Thanks for all the help!

penny1960 likes this.
  10. NxthiTsab

NxthiTsab Chirping

Oct 8, 2019
    Northwest Arkansas
    I may not be able to help with your question but the girls are so colorful :love

Anaf and ChickNanny13 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: