10 month old hen stopped laying

Her pelvic spread is three fingers and the distance between her keel and vent is four/five fingers. Her vent is also moist. There are definitely no secret nests in the run either :/
Sounds to me like she is in lay....might want to confine her:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Her pelvic spread is three fingers and the distance between her keel and vent is four/five fingers. Her vent is also moist. There are definitely no secret nests in the run either :/
Does she free range at all? If so, then confine her as @aart mentioned. With all the signs pointing to her laying, I’m still thinking she’s laying.

This past Jan, we had 2 pullets, age 11 months, go through molt, so no eggs. They were really early for molt, but I guess could happen and maybe your could be getting ready for molt, but not very likely.

Does she free range at all? If so, then confine her as @aart mentioned. With all the signs pointing to her laying, I’m still thinking she’s laying.

This past Jan, we had 2 pullets, age 11 months, go through molt, so no eggs. They were really early for molt, but I guess could happen and maybe your could be getting ready for molt, but not very likely.

Sorry for the late reply!! She does free range sometimes but only when I am in the garden so I would notice if she was sitting down in the bush somewhere. The chicken run is quite big but there aren't many hidden places where she could be laying and I've checked everywhere. This may or may not be relevant but I think she is a bit of a "special" hen. She eats a bit more slowly than the others and appears to be more picky with what she eats. She also likes to give me and the other hens a nip sometimes. I've never had a chicken bite me before but Dulce isn't as "sweet" as she seems. I'm hoping she will start laying by summer and if not, I will have to chase down a poultry vet to make sure there isn't any hidden illness going on.

Sounds to me like she is in lay....might want to confine her:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
As I've mentioned in the below comment, there really isn't anywhere she could be laying. Although their run is quite big, I have checked every possible place in their run. They haven't been free-ranging at all for the past few weeks as I have been "renovating" the garden. And she appears to be the healthiest of all my hens so I don't think she has any "stuck" eggs.

Back
Top Bottom