10 month old Rhode Island Red hens losing feathers

phoneman40

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 7, 2010
just a question about my 10 month old Rhode Island Red hens...over the past four or five days I have noticed about 3 out of 10 are starting to lose feathers....there has been to stress or change in diet or anything to cause this that I can think of....any of you chicken guru's know what this could possibly be caused by-they are acting perfectly normal so i don't know where to start.....

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! HELP!!

Last edited:
They are moulting. Totally normal. Chickens shed thier feathers at least once a year and grow in new ones. Hens may stop laying during this time. Again totally normal.

My 10 month old hen just did the exact same thing. The pin feathers are new feathers coming in and she is molting. She'll look really funny for a while and then back to normal! Mine took about 2 weeks to get back to normal.

THANK YOU!!! I thought they might be out there smoking crack or something. You are all
awesome
big_smile.png

We're lying, they're actually smoking something....

Anyway, those funny looking feathers are the indication of molt -- pin feathers.

Looks like molting to me. My 1 year old Australorp just did an entire body molt...I shouldn't laugh but it looked absolutely alien funny. I felt so bad for her I kept her in the house at night the last couple of weeks. It was soooo cold outside...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom