10 moth old Cayuga not laying

chickpa

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 29, 2007
So I picked up 4 ducks last June. They were straight run one day old hatchlings. Two Indian Runners and Two Cayugas. Turned out I had a male and female pair of each. The Indian Runner has been laying one to two eggs per day for months. The Cayuga has never laid. Not sure if she's a late bloomer or? She is 9 or 10 months old and not a hint of an egg. I read somewhere that Cayugas start later than some breeds. Anyone have an opinion wether or not she will ever lay?

Chickpa

I also question the 2 eggs a day. It is not common at all, are you sure she isn't laying that second egg? Do you have a pond she could be laying in? Have you checked every place they are at during the day?

Well, I think you are right. I think the Cayuga had been laying some. But she was getting roughed up by out male. Too much lovin from Butterbeak. Butterbeak is an Indian Runner and he is upright. He basically stands on my Cayuga's back when he copulates with her and she was getting pretty roughed up on her back feathers. One day a couple of weeks ago I realized that she was barely able to quack and her chest was puffed out. I put her in isolation and gave her a warm bath. After some R and R, she found her voice and started laying again. The thing that threw me is the egg color. She is supposed to lay black or grey eggs but they look identical to the Runner. Go figure. Now she's much better and reintroduced to the flock. While she was ill, I purchased two new Indian Runner hens. Beautiful chocolate brown with speckles of cream. Turns out one is a male. Now my ratios are not as good as I had hoped but what can you do?

Thanks for the input.

Chrissy

Back
Top Bottom