10 Quail, 1 bullie

Livinmontes

In the Brooder
May 16, 2018
I am a new Quail mom. My Quail are being raised with loving care but they are not pets. I do have them in a nice size home-made cage with plenty of room to walk, hop, run and fly. They are 5 weeks old as of 5/13/18. Everything has been peaceful as they are all the same age hatched the same day. However I now have one bird attacking the rest. I separated the one. It appears to be a hen. I successfully identified one rooster and the other 9 are still getting along beautifully. Any advise for the one bully bird under quarantine? I tried separating the 10 into smaller groups of 3 or 4 but this one bird was just attacking everyone so she spent the night all alone. I want happy healthy birds so I feel bad she is by herself but even her call seems to make the other birds crazy.

I had the same problem, i had initially bought a trio of two hens and one roo, found out that i had two roos and one hen, so i got two more hens, the original hen went nuts and badly bruised and pecked the smaller of the other two hens, so i seperated her with the bigger of the two roos and she is doing fine now, she just didnt like other hens vying for her roos attention

I had the same problem, i had initially bought a trio of two hens and one roo, found out that i had two roos and one hen, so i got two more hens, the original hen went nuts and badly bruised and pecked the smaller of the other two hens, so i seperated her with the bigger of the two roos and she is doing fine now, she just didnt like other hens vying for her roos attention
Thank you. I think this young lady will just have to remain alone until its time to put her in the freezer.

Some of my quail go through bullying phases - sometimes they last an hour, sometimes a few weeks. I separate them with a partition so they can still see each other but can’t do harm. Eventually (an hour or the next day) try putting the bully back in and supervise. If still bullying stick it back in the partition - Quail are moody xD

Some people have success keeping bullies alone for some time (I've heard everything from 1 hour to 14 days) and then reintroducing them. When they've been out of the pen for long enough, they are automatically at the bottom of the pecking order when you put them back in, and that might be enough to settle her down. I'd probably try to put her back in a couple of days and see what happens.

Some people have success keeping bullies alone for some time (I've heard everything from 1 hour to 14 days) and then reintroducing them. When they've been out of the pen for long enough, they are automatically at the bottom of the pecking order when you put them back in, and that might be enough to settle her down. I'd probably try to put her back in a couple of days and see what happens.
That's interesting.. I will try it. I know they are social birds so hopefully she just needs a time out.. lol.. thanks so much.

Some of my quail go through bullying phases - sometimes they last an hour, sometimes a few weeks. I separate them with a partition so they can still see each other but can’t do harm. Eventually (an hour or the next day) try putting the bully back in and supervise. If still bullying stick it back in the partition - Quail are moody xD
I stayed by their cage for a while yesterday after I separated them, at one point the bully cried out for the rest of the flock and they all went in a frenzy like when she was still in there and they were trying to run away from her. They are quirky little birds.. I imagine at 5 weeks they are teenagers.. lol.. thank you so much for the advice. I am going to give her a chance to play nice again and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom