10 week old chick closing left eye

loyalcrowlist

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
I have a 10 week old BYM chick.

They're active, alert, eating and poop properly. There seems to be nothing in their eye - no discharge, no swelling - but they pretty consistently close their left eye.

Nothing else is raising a red flag to me as everything else is normal and they're one of my most active and energetic chicks I think I've ever had. But this does make me slightly concerned. What could be causing them to close their left eye with such consistency?

I would use a lubricant eye drop or either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Triple Antibiotic in the eye twice a day to see if it helps. Saline or something like Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief Eye Wash (for around $5 at Walmart or Walgreens) is also good. Let us know if she develops any other symptoms.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/advanced-eye-relief-eye-wash/ID=prod1585-product?ext=gooFY23_GOO_RET_RETAILDEMANDGEN_Performance+Max+-+Personal+Care_REV_SRC_PMAX_PMAX_NA_PMAX_ENG__pla_online&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw_aemBhBLEiwAT98FMgHSTWVHWqH40ViPvIV6QvxPi-d5DbnPRlGK-so7qaJlUwDNdLl_VBoCsdEQAvD_BwE
Thank you! I've already started with eye drops but I'll be getting some Terramycin and seeing how that goes!

Thank you! I've already started with eye drops but I'll be getting some Terramycin and seeing how that goes!
Hi there. How’s your chick doing? I have a 12 week old cockerel doing the same thing. No sign that anything is amiss except he seems to keep his right eye closed a lot. I’m going to try Terramycin and see how it goes but wanted to see how yours was doing. Thanks!

Hi there. How’s your chick doing? I have a 12 week old cockerel doing the same thing. No sign that anything is amiss except he seems to keep his right eye closed a lot. I’m going to try Terramycin and see how it goes but wanted to see how yours was doing. Thanks!
Good! I used eye drops and terramycin and I'm not sure what the issue was but they've stopped closing their eye in that way.

Back
Top Bottom