10-Week-Old Cockerels?

iowacricket

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
Eastern Iowa
Hi there! I have three 10-week-old chicks that I suspect are cockerels. The breeds are unknown, although I'm thinking the speckled one and white one are both Erminettes and the black one is an Australorp. Sadly, we can't keep roosters where we live.

What do you all think? Any chance any of these could be a pullet?

20201215_123850.jpg

20201215_122910.jpg

Polish_20201215_125404790.jpg

20201215_123722.jpg

20201215_123413.jpg

20201215_123821.jpg

Bonus pic of me and the whole crew:
20201215_123645.jpg

Attachments

• 20201215_123821.jpg
    20201215_123821.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 2
What do you all think? Any chance any of these could be a pullet?
I have three 10-week-old chicks
They're sporting good sized wattles for the stated age for sure. But combs don't look really red per say (I have ZERO comparisons like what you might be seeing with behavior and growth differences).. Most non hen feathered breeds will sport saddle feathers starting around 12 weeks.. Wattles always turn red first and late bloomers in certain breeds may delay the reddening.. Where are they from?
1608060750083.png

They're sporting good sized wattles for the stated age for sure. But combs don't look really red per say (I have ZERO comparisons like what you might be seeing with behavior and growth differences).. Most non hen feathered breeds will sport saddle feathers starting around 12 weeks.. Wattles always turn red first and late bloomers in certain breeds may delay the reddening.. Where are they from?
View attachment 2450664
Thanks for the info! We got them from Sand Hill Preservation. We got nine chicks total (four of known breeds and five mystery breeds). We did get two black mystery chicks and the other feathered out much more quickly and has a tiny comb and wattles, so I'm really thinking the black one pictured above is a cockerel.

One of our chicks has had a red comb since 5 weeks and it's still so much redder than the three suspected cockerels.
20201215_135954(0).jpg

Behavior-wise, I haven't seen anything lately that screams cockerel about the three. They're all pretty chill. The white one pecks me until I cuddle it.

Last edited:
All cockerels.

@The Moonshiner... Sandhill.
We had a great experience with Sand Hill. We've been ordering seeds from them for years. We also live nearby in Iowa and picked the chicks up in person. We're amateur chicken keepers and don't care too much about looks. Obviously, others have had a different experience, but we'd order from them again.

We had a great experience with Sand Hill. We've been ordering seeds from them for years. We also live nearby in Iowa and picked the chicks up in person. We're amateur chicken keepers and don't care too much about looks. Obviously, others have had a different experience, but we'd order from them again.
Glad you had a great experience.

They need to stick with seeds and produce though.

Thanks for the info! We got them from Sand Hill Preservation. We got nine chicks total (four of known breeds and five mystery breeds). We did get two black mystery chicks and the other feathered out much more quickly and has a tiny comb and wattles, so I'm really thinking the black one pictured above is a cockerel.

One of our chicks that we know the breed of, a black ameraucana, has had a red comb since 5 weeks and it's still so much redder than the three suspected cockerels.
View attachment 2450726

Behavior-wise, I haven't seen anything lately that screams cockerel about the three. They're all pretty chill. The white one pecks me until I cuddle it.
This is not an Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom