10 week old silkie gender check.

Checota

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Cape May NJ
Ok this is my first silkie, given an egg to put under a Broodie hen, here is the result. By this comb....guess on gender?
35FBCFAA-8F67-4A53-825A-EA56AC146071.jpeg

How can you tell with this breed of chicken for Roo or Pullet? What are you looking at/for?
With silkies it’s a bit trickier, but as a general rule the males will have bigger combs and waddles. In any other breed they would also have point saddle and hackle feathers. Silkie cockerels have “streamers” in place of hackle feathers and their combs are much larger than that of a pullet. It won’t show it in the picture, but male silkies will usually have very visible, bright blue ears.

Silkies are exceptionally tricky 😆
And- to be fair- unless you have DNA tested one, it's crowed, or it's laid an egg-- I wouldn't give up hope. I absolutely could be wrong.
When I look at your bird, I see how wide and plump his comb looks in relation to the size of his beak-- I lean roo. 😕
I would say the topknot is more swept back rather than rounded-- I lean roo. 😕
It could be my eyes, but it seems there are a couple of spots where that fluff branches, streamers, where it's just not as tidy and smooth as a pulley. 😕

Well since I don’t mind if it’s a rooster or a pullet this will be interesting to see him or her to unveil itself. No wattles seen yet. Been looking for streamers but none yet. But that top knot is still filled with pin feathers so has more unfurling to go. Seems to keep more of a pullet stance then a rooster stance. And with the other two bantams seems more bottom of the pecking order with the two buff Brahma bantams 2 he or she is with. Going to be watching for that crow. Thanks for explaining the differences.

With silkies it’s a bit trickier, but as a general rule the males will have bigger combs and waddles. In any other breed they would also have point saddle and hackle feathers. Silkie cockerels have “streamers” in place of hackle feathers and their combs are much larger than that of a pullet. It won’t show it in the picture, but male silkies will usually have very visible, bright blue ears.

No blue ears here. Hmmm and the comb is flat. And has a small depression in the middle of the comb

Back
Top Bottom