10" wide entry to nesting boxes...

I would add something to that plywood floor.
Critters can chew through it, BTW.
At least several coats of sealer, deck paint, or a scrap of vinyl flooring.
Wide roof overhangs are very helpful too.
Mary

Gotcha. I think I like the idea of vinyl.

Why must something be laid down? I guess to keep all the droppings from leeching into the untreated wood and leading to rot, stink and ultimately health concerns?

I have 12" of over hang on three sides of the house. Will run my decking a couple inches past it, and the metal can hang over another couple inches as well. So I can get as much as 16, 17, or 18 inches of overhang.

This will be my siding for the exterior walls. https://www.lowes.com/pd/SmartSide-...tual-0-315-in-x-48-563-in-x-95-875-in/3058153 Looks like pretty good stuff. It's OSB, but it will lay up with no visible seems and it already has a pretty tough paint / primer on it. I plan to paint the exterior again in addition to what's already on it.

ESPECIALLY cover that untreated plywood!
Mary

Everything I read said to go with untreated for the bird's safety. Should I not have used that? I would have much preferred treated. I already have a little delamination going on from the rain we've been having. Had really wanted to get the roof on this past weekend, but I ran short on time.

I like the vinyl on my floor, and poop boards.
I didn't skimp tho, got a heavy duty foam backed vinyl(one that wouldn't crack when I bent over the corner) that has help up well for 6 years now.

10" should be OK for nests, I'da gone bigger tho...14x14x16.

I like the vinyl on my floor, and poop boards.
I didn't skimp tho, got a heavy duty foam backed vinyl(one that wouldn't crack when I bent over the corner) that has help up well for 6 years now.

10" should be OK for nests, I'da gone bigger tho...14x14x16.

Kinda late now. The are complete and installed. The opening is 10"... and actually, I remeasured it each one is more like 10.5 - 10.75, and the measurement once inside the box is more like 11+. Probably not ideal, but it should work. When I look at it, they appear sufficient, but research indicated that I might be a touch on the small side.

Good deal on the foam backed stuff. I have taken note. 6 years is pretty good. I'll also put it on my poop board, which BTW, I should be able to have it slightly larger than my entire roosting area, which will be nice.

This vinyl thing has got me thinking... What about some kind of coating... like bed liner material? Would be expensive, but I could spray the entire floor as well as the studs about halfway up. That, some hardware cloth covered drains, and sealed wood where holes were drilled, you you could put a hose to the interior with no concern about trapping mositure or potential rot... I sprayed this stuff in my jeep tub and it's bad to the bone... http://monstaliner.com/ I'm really considering this.

Last edited:
It's nice to use untreated, but here, if it touches ground, it's treated. Our coop is on an old building foundation, so old broken concrete, with a rat barrier, and rubber stall mats on top. There's no crawling under the coop here!!!
As @aart said, use good grade vinyl so it holds up better.
Mary

It's nice to use untreated, but here, if it touches ground, it's treated. Our coop is on an old building foundation, so old broken concrete, with a rat barrier, and rubber stall mats on top. There's no crawling under the coop here!!!
As @aart said, use good grade vinyl so it holds up better.
Mary

My posts in the ground are treated. My 2 x 6 joists that are a couple feet of the ground are treated. The exposed frame of my nesting box is treated. The portions of windows and doors that are exposed to air are treated. Every surface that a chicken will be on and all the other studs are not treated.

If you get big breed hens, you could take out one of the dividers, so there's a box 20" wide. An easy fix!
Your pullets and hens will show their preferences anyway.
Mary

Very true.

Back
Top Bottom