10" wide entry to nesting boxes...

I'd go with BK 57, following the advice in those threads....specifically @blackdog043 gives good advice.

One post:

"We used it over a OSB flooring and when it dried it was sharp so we put a cheap vinyl flooring over it. We also used it on our roost boards and the same thing happen. We had to sand them down really well and paint over it due to it lifting all the splinters. I didn't want them to hurt their feet while roosting at night. It worked great to water proof the floor but I wouldn't use it anywhere their feet will touch."

I wonder if that was a result of application method. Like maybe a roller that left lots of little peaks. Hmmmm.

Right now the floor is 5/8 untreated plywood. My thought has been to leave it like it is. What's the consensus on that? I see where some folks will lay vinyl down... ???? Pros and cons?

Roof will be 5/8 plywood decking and then metal.

I painted the floors of my coops with porch and floor paint. No space for mites to hide between linoleum and wood that way. It has held up well for going on 6 years with scraping and shoveling. I use a big plastic feed shovel for cleaning.

One post:

"We used it over a OSB flooring and when it dried it was sharp so we put a cheap vinyl flooring over it. We also used it on our roost boards and the same thing happen. We had to sand them down really well and paint over it due to it lifting all the splinters. I didn't want them to hurt their feet while roosting at night. It worked great to water proof the floor but I wouldn't use it anywhere their feet will touch."

I wonder if that was a result of application method. Like maybe a roller that left lots of little peaks. Hmmmm.
Not sure who wrote that or just what they did, might use quotes next time, but obviously not all posts have advice worth following. ;) Grains of salt my friend, grains of salt.

Not sure who wrote that or just what they did, might use quotes next time, but obviously not all posts have advice worth following. ;) Grains of salt my friend, grains of salt.

We used it over a OSB flooring and when it dried it was sharp so we put a cheap vinyl flooring over it. We also used it on our roost boards and the same thing happen. We had to sand them down really well and paint over it due to it lifting all the splinters. I didn't want them to hurt their feet while roosting at night. It worked great to water proof the floor but I wouldn't use it anywhere their feet will touch.

I use BlackJack 57, my coop floor is just standard plywood. It mainly serves to waterproof and protect the wood from moisture, and makes for easier clean up. Seals up small cracks and crevices nicely too, which can possibly help against parasites.

It's very thick, so mixing it well is probably the toughest part of the job (recommendations on here are to turn it upside down for a day or two before first use) but after that can be applied like a very thick paint.

Best to follow the manufacturer instructions (they advise applying on dry, warmer days, you'll want to do 2 coats, etc) and it should hold up fairly well. At least I haven't seen any sign of wear or tear after dragging a rake and a shovel across it.

Back
Top Bottom