10 year old "retired" hen laying again after 3 years

jenlt

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2013
Hi everyone -

Has anyone ever experienced a fully mature, "retired" hen, laying after not laying for 3 years?

I have an Easter Egger, that was my best layer, 6 eggs every week, unless molting. About 3 years ago, she stopped laying. She virtually never prostrated herself to me (head hen) & she started doing it again about 3 weeks ago, nearly everyday.

About a week ago, I found her in the nesting boxes, she did not lay. A couple of days ago I had a really bloody egg in the nesting box & had already picked up all blue/green eggs earlier in the day that would have accounted for all the Easter Eggers in the flock, today, she is in the nesting box right now. She is 10 years old.

Hi everyone -

Has anyone ever experienced a fully mature, "retired" hen, laying after not laying for 3 years?

I have an Easter Egger, that was my best layer, 6 eggs every week, unless molting. About 3 years ago, she stopped laying. She virtually never prostrated herself to me (head hen) & she started doing it again about 3 weeks ago, nearly everyday.

About a week ago, I found her in the nesting boxes, she did not lay. A couple of days ago I had a really bloody egg in the nesting box & had already picked up all blue/green eggs earlier in the day that would have accounted for all the Easter Eggers in the flock, today, she is in the nesting box right now. She is 10 years old.
That is pretty incredible.
My almost 4 yo, who was only a so-so layer in her youth, went through a heavy molt early last fall and had completely quit laying for about 4 months. I did not expect her to lay again as she was pretty lousy with maybe 2 a week prior. Then about 2+ months ago she laid a beautiful bright blue egg and has been giving me 4+ on average per week since. Not nearly as bright blue but shockingly consistent. I mentioned to my knowledgeable friend and he said Ameraucana was slow to mature. I have no further knowledge about your good fortune but look forward hearing more about it on your thread.

Hi everyone -

Was the egg fine in any other way, other than the blood?

No, I have never had that happen, but my oldest birds are only 7 years old currently.

Hi there, I hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

That's actually incredible at 10 years old, Gotta love them EE!

So I have had a hen that quit laying (and started crowing pathetically on rare occasion), also a head hen. She was hatchery barred rock and the lapse was more like 2 years gap with her age only being about 2 at onset (very disappointing) and 4 at return. I was shocked and excited when she returned to lay. I regret letting her and a specific Easter Egger from her group go to another home shortly thereafter (with disclosure).They were still good eggs.

Everything being in order without cause for concern regarding weird insides (rotten eggs).. I would consider it a real life miracle! I'd love to see a photo of this spry lady. :cool:

Not sure why folks are NOT reading the entire post. She is 10 years old, stopped laying 3 years ago, at 7 years old & all of a sudden started laying again.
Sometimes people simply misinterpret what they read. I've done the same.

Your Easter Egger beginning to lay eggs again at such an advanced age, and so long after she last laid an egg at age 7, is very intriguing. As you know, most hens don't live until age 10, and most people don't keep hens 3 years past when they last laid. So in Many ways you have a very rare hen.

Did she lay another egg today yet? My concern would be if she begins laying internally. If she continues to deposit eggs in the nestbox, then obviously (and hopefully) not.

A person I know of that has had quite a lot of senior citizen hens is @azygous . Since she is also an expert on the emergencies forum, she may well have insight as to what is going on with your Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom