100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

kuntrygirl, why did you decide to skin your chickens? I am just wondering because I am new to this. I read the thread and saw that you had a whizbang type of plucker made.

kuntrygirl, why did you decide to skin your chickens?  I am just wondering because I am new to this.  I read the thread and saw that you had a whizbang type of plucker made. 

I skinned them because it's easier during process and because it's healthier eating for me. We make a lot of gumbos and stews with our chicken and there really is no purpose for the skin (for us) We like to cut up the meat for the gumbos and cook it that way.

I think I know which blog it was, though rules state we are not allowed to post links here. :p

Watermarking your pictures is a good thing!

I skinned them because it's easier during process and because it's healthier eating for me. We make a lot of gumbos and stews with our chicken and there really is no purpose for the skin (for us) We like to cut up the meat for the gumbos and cook it that way.

Not sure if I missed it, did you get to processing some? We were planning on plucking half (for whole) and skinning the rest (for piecing).

So glad to day was over with. It was as a long day. After running all of my errands, I started processing some of the broilers. My goal was to process 1/3 of them but that didn't work out. We had spurts of rain and drizzle all day, so I wasn't able to stay outside too long. However, I was able to process 4 birds which was ok with me.

I picked out 4 of the broilers that looked to be the size that I wanted. Not too big and not too small. I didn't get the largest ones because I want to see what their weight will be in another week or 2.

So, I picked out my 4. I used the same method that I did the last time as far as the pellet gun. I placed them in a medium size metal can and the bird fit perfect. I then placed the metal can in a feed sack and placed it in a milk crate. The purpose of the feed sack was to catch any blood if any.

Here's what I did.

This method had minimal blood shed.

I didn't even use the chicken plucker because I skinned them. Skinning took no time at all.

The weights were as follows:

Live Weight AND Dressed Weight
4.43 lbs - 3.65 lbs
4.27 lbs - 3.47 lbs
3.87 lbs - 3.16 lbs
3.79 lbs - 2.98 lbs

Anyway, after skinning and cleaning, I did take pics of the breasts and leg quarters and weighed the breasts. I noticed that the back area had very little meat on it if any at all. So, I cut the backs and necks and will place them in a separate freezer bag and will cook them when I cook beans.

So here are pics and weights of the breasts with the wings on but there is very little meat on the wings.

1.32 lbs

1.39 lbs

1.47 lbs

1.55 lbs

Pic of the leg quarters. One of the leg quarters, you can see some of the back where there is little meat on it.

I will let the meat rest in the fridge for a couple of days, then I will bag the meat up and freeze it.

I'm hoping to get back out there tomorrow and try to do more.

I'm so ready to get this over with and be done with these broilers.

Oh, and they are drinking 11 gallons a water every single day.

Last edited:

I think I know which blog it was, though rules state we are not allowed to post links here. :p 

Watermarking your pictures is a good thing!

Not sure if I missed it, did you get to processing some? We were planning on plucking half (for whole) and skinning the rest (for piecing).

How do you watermark? I have been wanting to add something to my pics so no one can steal them as well.

Yes, I just posted about the processing. Sorry I'm so late. Was a busy day and the wine slowed me down. :oops:

How are your birds doing over there?

How do you watermark? I have been wanting to add something to my pics so no one can steal them as well.

Yes, I just posted about the processing. Sorry I'm so late. Was a busy day and the wine slowed me down.
hide.gif

I can't believe how huge the breasts are! Did you bleed them out after the pellet gun?

The Cornish are growing… it's actually quite shocking. I was hoping to put them out for a little while today so I could clean them out, but I'll just box them instead.

Yes, I just posted about the processing. Sorry I'm so late. Was a busy day and the wine slowed me down.
hide.gif

We had planned to process 1/2 of our birds the first time and only ended up doing 4 as well lol

You're not going to skin them all are you? Skin is so good for stock.. Also keeps all the juices in when you cook with the skin on. You don't need to eat the skin, it just acts as a good way to cook them. We stuff herbs and stuff between the skin and the meat. It tastes awesome.

I do skin the breasts, because we use those for stirfries mostly.

Watermarking: I use Gimp. It's a free editing software. I type our farm name in it, and have started adding my website as well.

See :)

Last edited:

Yes, I just posted about the processing. Sorry I'm so late. Was a busy day and the wine slowed me down. :oops:

I can't believe how huge the breasts are! Did you bleed them out after the pellet gun?

The Cornish are growing… it's actually quite shocking. I was hoping to put them out for a little while today so I could clean them out, but I'll just box them instead.

No, I didn't bleed them out at all. After I used the gun, I placed it in a large box and I got the next one. To be honest, I was kinda looking for all of the blood but there wasn't a lot of blood. After a few minutes, I took them out of the box, took off a few feathers, grabbed the skin, made a slit and commenced to pulling the skin off. The skin pulled off with so much each. I was surprised. After taking the skin off, I put them in an old feed sack bag and begin butting them. Again, there was minimal bleeding. This may sound crazy, but the insides were beautiful. When I was skinning them, I couldn't help but noticed has amazing the meat looked. I'm looking forward to cooking one of them this week.

Back
Top Bottom