100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

From that listing, it sounds like shavings and peat moss are high on the list. I'll stick with the shavings and hope they don't get sick from the fumes or die from eating the shavings. Not sure where I can find peat moss but I will try that as well.

Experimenting is fun.
smile.png

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I'll be ready next year.
smile.png
I got my peat moss at the feed store.

I didn't like sand because deep litter is so important to me. That litter is gold for the gardens. :)

How bad is their congestion?

For meaties only I switched the brooder bottoms to wire. No foot mess, no shavings or hay to clean out or dust from the shavings/hay.
I have two slide out trays that used to be a plastic yard table we got for free and took legs off, cut in half to make two manageable size flat trays that we slide under the wire bottom. I line trays with newspaper, I slide tray out roll up dirty poopy paper, toss in compost add more scrap newspaper and repeat next day. No running around or sleeping in poo,shavings in food, or water no scooping, no foot problems because they don't grow out on wire they are only in it 3 weeks max (we have them outside at 2 weeks if the weather is cooperating) before being outside. Nor will they live long enough to endure long term unforseen foot issues. (if you are processing them to eat, I assume because they're meaties)

I have read NOT to raise layers like this due to foot issues. But my meaties do great on it...especially with their big feet and fast growth.

Not one issue with cleaning, splayed leg (i used newspaper my 1st batch and 3 chicks ended up splayed) or wasted food/vitamin water because the bedding has been stirred in like a gumbo lol

Wire was cheap because we had some. We build cages for the rabbitry. Staple gun and bent scraps , we secured to sides, my cleaning poo time was cut in half.

This batch of 50 I have going are Doug awesome on it.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see it. I clicked on the pic and enlarged it. That looks so yummy!!!! I love that. Lots of good stuff in there. I will definitely pick up some wheat and oats when I get off work. I"ll see what else they have at TSC. If there are some things that I"m unsure of, I will get a list and report back in the morning for suggestions.

I'd say get wild bird feed but a lot of it is treated with chemicals. You can get an organic bird seed and use that if you can't find separate whole grains. 

It helps keep the feed properly moist. If I just use crumble or mash or pellets it seems dry at the bottom and wet at the top. Not with whole grains :)

Good idea. Thanks

From that listing, it sounds like shavings and peat moss are high on the list. I'll stick with the shavings and hope they don't get sick from the fumes or die from eating the shavings. Not sure where I can find peat moss but I will try that as well.

Experimenting is fun. :)

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I'll be ready next year. :)

I got my peat moss at the feed store. 

I didn't like sand because deep litter is so important to me. That litter is gold for the gardens. :) 

How bad is their congestion?

Their congestion is worst this morning. It's so bad, if I didn't know better, I would think that they have a terrible respiratory problem and that I needed to give them doses of Tylan. I have been putting ACV in the water and I"m hoping that will clear it up.

What litter do you use that allows you to use it in the garden? I can't see using the litter from the shavings because you barely see the poop.

I love sand for the chicken yard. Been using it for 3 years now and I'm so in love with it.

Quote: I see the difference . Yours are smaller.
hmm.png
I'll have to call around the other feed stores to see what they have.
Explain the size you are looking for-- someplaces like long time dealer know the product they sell, whereas a pet store is just DOH because staff keeps changing. Each packer usually uses the same mill and that mill usually produces the same size flake.

Early on I put down old towels for the chicks, terrified the shavings would lkill them, in later batches I did have deaths due to eating the shavings.

Maybe put down towels under the feeder to minimize tracking?? More work. I know. I used paper towels for a while= the thick durable all paper type.

I have to say-- the best experience of brooding chicks was when broodie hen took care of it all. She and chickies had a nice little house that needed just a bit of care, then she took the chicks off for the whole day to I don't know where, the other barn I think down in the woods, then back at twilight. She raised ALL of them started with 13, one did not thrive and was dead by a couple weeks. ANd the others were still trying to get under her wings at 4 months old. Great broodie. Hmm for 100 chicks you need about 10 broodies!!! Then outside they go. lol

I'm glad you are sharing your experience, all the trials and tribulations of raising 100 meaties. It is an eye opener and a small window into the lives at a big barn rasing thousands at a time. A lot of work. ANd feed. ANd electricity and labor. To put food on our table. Thank you for sharing your adventure!!

For meaties only I switched the brooder bottoms to wire. No foot mess, no shavings or hay to clean out or dust from the shavings/hay.
I have two slide out trays that used to be a plastic yard table we got for free and took legs off, cut in half to make two manageable size flat trays that we slide under the wire bottom. I line trays with newspaper, I slide tray out roll up dirty poopy paper, toss in compost add more scrap newspaper and repeat next day. No running around or sleeping in poo,shavings in food, or water no scooping, no foot problems because they don't grow out on wire they are only in it 3 weeks max (we have them outside at 2 weeks if the weather is cooperating) before being outside. Nor will they live long enough to endure long term unforseen foot issues. (if you are processing them to eat, I assume because they're meaties)

I have read NOT to raise layers like this due to foot issues. But my meaties do great on it...especially with their big feet and fast growth.

Not one issue with cleaning, splayed leg (i used newspaper my 1st batch and 3 chicks ended up splayed) or wasted food/vitamin water because the bedding has been stirred in like a gumbo lol

Wire was cheap because we had some. We build cages for the rabbitry. Staple gun and bent scraps , we secured to sides, my cleaning poo time was cut in half.

This batch of 50 I have going are Doug awesome on it.

I think there are pros and cons with everything that we use as far as flooring/bedding. I think everyone's situation will be different. I was never a fan of shavings in the past and now I see why. I"m not a fan of the wire floor and I know why as well. I know that they will not be on the wire for a long time but when I see chicks on wire MY feet hurt, so I don't want to put mine on wire. But I know that wire can be so clean because the poop falls straight thru the wire but the feet and leg issues (although there may be non) is a turn off for me. The only bedding that I love 100% is sand but everyone says sand is not the way to go with broilers and I believe the reviews but I am so curious to find out myself. :oops: I am so tempted to get sand to see what is does or doesn't do. Another sand experiment.

Their congestion is worst this morning. It's so bad, if I didn't know better, I would think that they have a terrible respiratory problem and that I needed to give them doses of Tylan. I have been putting ACV in the water and I"m hoping that will clear it up.

What litter do you use that allows you to use it in the garden? I can't see using the litter from the shavings because you barely see the poop.

I love sand for the chicken yard. Been using it for 3 years now and I'm so in love with it.
Take this seriously.. I'd get rid of those shavings for sure. It's the only thing you have changed. They should not be congested like that.

Even if it was CRD, they couldn't develop it at that age that fast could they? I doubt it...

Sand may be harder for YOU to take care of in the long run, but if regular pine and not kiln dried is causing this respiratory distress, I'd rather put the extra work into sifting the sand than have some serious deaths on my hands...

Explain the size you are looking for-- someplaces like long time dealer know the product they sell, whereas a pet store is just DOH because staff keeps changing. Each packer usually uses the same mill and that mill usually produces the same size flake.

Early on I put down old towels for the chicks, terrified the shavings would lkill them, in later batches I did have deaths due to eating the shavings.

Maybe put down towels under the feeder to minimize tracking?? More work. I know. I used paper towels for a while= the thick durable all paper type.

I have to say-- the best experience of brooding chicks was when broodie hen took care of it all. She and chickies had a nice little house that needed just a bit of care, then she took the chicks off for the whole day to I don't know where, the other barn I think down in the woods, then back at twilight. She raised ALL of them started with 13, one did not thrive and was dead by a couple weeks. ANd the others were still trying to get under her wings at 4 months old. Great broodie. Hmm for 100 chicks you need about 10 broodies!!! Then outside they go. lol

I'm glad you are sharing your experience, all the trials and tribulations of raising 100 meaties. It is an eye opener and a small window into the lives at a big barn rasing thousands at a time. A lot of work. ANd feed. ANd electricity and labor. To put food on our table. Thank you for sharing your adventure!!
I like paper towel. Towels work too. Can you imagine 100 broilers on towels? Oh my the poop!!
I think there are pros and cons with everything that we use as far as flooring/bedding. I think everyone's situation will be different. I was never a fan of shavings in the past and now I see why. I"m not a fan of the wire floor and I know why as well. I know that they will not be on the wire for a long time but when I see chicks on wire MY feet hurt, so I don't want to put mine on wire. But I know that wire can be so clean because the poop falls straight thru the wire but the feet and leg issues (although there may be non) is a turn off for me. The only bedding that I love 100% is sand but everyone says sand is not the way to go with broilers and I believe the reviews but I am so curious to find out myself.
hide.gif
I am so tempted to get sand to see what is does or doesn't do. Another sand experiment.
Try it. No harm. The poop situation may be hard to control, because you wouldn't toss out sand right? I can just imagine the garbage bags of soiled sand... So heavy.. If you can keep up scooping for that many chicks and just filtering the poop out - that could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntrygirl

You wouldn't use the litter straight away. The deep litter turns to compost and can be used on your garden mixed in with the soil. Another way you can use it without adding it directly from the coop is to put it in garbage bags and add water. Let it steep. Cut a hole in the bottom corner and water your garden with the steeped water. :)

I'll remove the shavings and see if that works. I can't see how those little chicks can inhale that stuff cause I am having a hard time smelling it. :(
Your shavings look much different from mine. See the difference... My shavings are soft and small. It smells fresh, not strong.
I see the difference . Yours are smaller. :/ I'll have to call around the other feed stores to see what they have.
Explain the size you are looking for-- someplaces like long time dealer know the product they sell, whereas a pet store is just DOH because staff keeps changing. Each packer usually uses the same mill and that mill usually produces the same size flake. Early on I put down old towels for the chicks, terrified the shavings would lkill them, in later batches I did have deaths due to eating the shavings. Maybe put down towels under the feeder to minimize tracking?? More work. I know. I used paper towels for a while= the thick durable all paper type. I have to say-- the best experience of brooding chicks was when broodie hen took care of it all. She and chickies had a nice little house that needed just a bit of care, then she took the chicks off for the whole day to I don't know where, the other barn I think down in the woods, then back at twilight. She raised ALL of them started with 13, one did not thrive and was dead by a couple weeks. ANd the others were still trying to get under her wings at 4 months old. Great broodie. Hmm for 100 chicks you need about 10 broodies!!! Then outside they go. lol I'm glad you are sharing your experience, all the trials and tribulations of raising 100 meaties. It is an eye opener and a small window into the lives at a big barn rasing thousands at a time. A lot of work. ANd feed. ANd electricity and labor. To put food on our table. Thank you for sharing your adventure!!
To be honest, I really don't know what size I need . Being as though this is all so new to me, I think that any shavings (regardless of size) will get in their water and feed. I have tried paper towels with chicks and I love it but it's costly and you have to change them out every day. I have used old towels with chickens and I love that as well but again, like the paper towels, I like to change mine out every day and of course, I have to spray the old towels down with the hose. I will have to experiment with sand, so I can put that horse to rest as far as bedding to try. To me, I would think that the sand and their poop would be like cleaning a cat litter box huh? I don't know. I"m just assuming because that is how it is in my peafowl pen and other chicken coops and chicken stalls. To be honest, I don't even have to do anything. The birds take care of turning it over themselves. I have no problems with sand. If anyone has personally used sand, please chime in and share your experiences with sand. Here are pics of sand bedding in different areas (peafowl flight pen, chicken yard and chicken stalls/outside brooders). My chicken yard looks like the beach.

Last edited:

Take this seriously.. I'd get rid of those shavings for sure. It's the only thing you have changed. They should not be congested like that. 

Even if it was CRD, they couldn't develop it at that age that fast could they? I doubt it... 

Sand may be harder for YOU to take care of in the long run, but if regular pine and not kiln dried is causing this respiratory distress, I'd rather put the extra work into sifting the sand than have some serious deaths on my hands...

Early on I put down old towels for the chicks, terrified the shavings would lkill them, in  later batches I did have deaths due to eating the shavings. 

Maybe put down towels under the feeder to minimize tracking?? More work. I know.  I used paper towels for a while= the thick durable all paper type. 

I have to say-- the best experience of brooding chicks was when broodie hen took care of it all.  She and chickies had a nice little house that needed just a bit of care, then she took the chicks off for the whole day to I don't know where, the other barn I think down in the woods, then back at twilight. She raised ALL of them started with 13, one did not thrive and was dead by a couple weeks. ANd the others were still trying to get under her wings at 4 months old. Great broodie. Hmm  for 100 chicks you need about 10 broodies!!!  Then outside they go. lol

I'm glad you are sharing your experience, all the trials and tribulations of raising 100 meaties. It is an eye opener and a small  window into the lives at a big barn rasing thousands at a time.  A lot of work. ANd feed. ANd electricity and labor. To put food on our table. Thank you for sharing your  adventure!!

I like paper towel. Towels work too. Can you imagine 100 broilers on towels? Oh my the poop!!
I think there are pros and cons with everything that we use as far as flooring/bedding. I think everyone's situation will be different. I was never a fan of shavings in the past and now I see why. I"m not a fan of the wire floor and I know why as well. I know that they will not be on the wire for a long time but when I see chicks on wire MY feet hurt, so I don't want to put mine on wire. But I know that wire can be so clean because the poop falls straight thru the wire but the feet and leg issues (although there may be non) is a turn off for me. The only bedding that I love 100% is sand but everyone says sand is not the way to go with broilers and I believe the reviews but I am so curious to find out myself. :oops: I am so tempted to get sand to see what is does or doesn't do. Another sand experiment.

Try it. No harm. The poop situation may be hard to control, because you wouldn't toss out sand right? I can just imagine the garbage bags of soiled sand... So heavy.. If you can keep up scooping for that many chicks and just filtering the poop out - that could work. 

Could they be eating too much feed, too soon, too fast (extreme weight gain) as far as them being congested? I read somewhere about congestive heart failure and them sounding congested. I am puzzled. As soon as I typed too much food, it made me think about this (and I"m not trying to be funny) but it they sound like an obese person who can barely breath because they are soooooooooo over weight. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom