100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

Last night was the night that I packed the broilers up and put in the freezer. I am OFFICIALLY DONE with the broilers. I have sold everything that I am going to sell and the rest are mine mine mine. I didn't want to sell too many and then end up regretting selling too many. I am hoping the broilers last me at least a year if not longer.

I have a great stock of the liver, heart and gizzards to make rice dressing or dirty rice as some people call it.
droolin.gif

I still want to get 10 of the REAL broilers. The fast growing ones. I want to see if I can process them at 4 weeks old or less than 4lbs. I may keep 1 to see how big it grows as 8 weeks but that's it. I don't want to see another broiler until 2016.
lau.gif

Hmmmmm Dirty rice. Don't see it enough. I must try to do some this year. Even with store bought gizzards. I read that 4 wk old CX's are processed at 2.5 lbs for cornish game hens. I have been seriously considering doing a few just 4-5 wks. How much food do you think 10 would eat in that time. Was it you or Angelicia that said for 50 birds, 1 bag the first week 2 the second and so on.
idunno.gif

Hmmmmm Dirty rice. Don't see it enough. I must try to do some this year. Even with store bought gizzards. I read that 4 wk old CX's are processed at 2.5 lbs for cornish game hens. I have been seriously considering doing a few just 4-5 wks. How much food do you think 10 would eat in that time. Was it you or Angelicia that said for 50 birds, 1 bag the first week 2 the second and so on.
idunno.gif

I know this is silly, but mine are 4 weeks old right now and still kind of cheeping. I couldn't imagine processing now because they seem like chubby babies.

Well, I didn't do 43. I only did 39 by myself. I was a little upset at my so called help but I sucked it up and took one for the team.

4 lbs is a great weight!

How many did you give him for his "help"?

Well initially he didn't want any. He said that his girlfriend could not cook and he didn't want her to ruin the meat. So for weeks and weeks and weeks during my broiler project I would always bring it up and he said no, he didn't want any. The day he came over before we get started I offered him broilers again . He continued to say no. THEN, when his girlfriend's sister called to find out how much they were and he told her and she didn't want to buy any, his answer changed from wanting NONE to wanting 2 (so he could GIVE her the broilers). I was so upset because she did exactly what she did to prompt him to get some for free. They use him that way and he continues to be used but that's not my problem. So, he left with 2 broilers to give to his girlfriend's sister. :/

Last night was the night that I packed the broilers up and put in the freezer. I am OFFICIALLY DONE with the broilers. I have sold everything that I am going to sell and the rest are mine mine mine. I didn't want to sell too many and then end up regretting selling too many. I am hoping the broilers last me at least a year if not longer.

I have a great stock of the liver, heart and gizzards to make rice dressing or dirty rice as some people call it. :drool

I still want to get 10 of the REAL broilers. The fast growing ones. I want to see if I can process them at 4 weeks old or less than 4lbs. I may keep 1 to see how big it grows as 8 weeks but that's it. I don't want to see another broiler until 2016. :lau

Hmmmmm Dirty rice.  Don't see it enough.  I must try to do some this year.  Even with store bought gizzards.    I read that 4 wk old CX's are processed at 2.5 lbs for cornish game hens.  I have been seriously considering doing a few just 4-5 wks.   How much food do you think 10 would eat in that time.  Was it you or Angelicia that said for 50 birds, 1 bag the first week 2 the second and so on.    :idunno

All of the broilers that I processed had soooooooooo many good looking livers, hearts and gizzards. I bagged and froze them up separately weighing16 ounces per bag per part. I then placed the small bags in a large freezer bag and will use each 16 ounces of each to make my dressing. I didn't want to freeze all of them together because it was way too much.

I had another broiler last night and it was very small. That baby was so good. It was finger licking good. I love garlic, so I put a lot of garlic powder and stuffed it with garlic. :drool I hate to say but I ate the whole thing. :oops: And I froze the bones for my stock.

Angel had the 50 birds. I think you should go for it and get a few and process at a small weight. That would be perfect.

Hmmmmm Dirty rice.  Don't see it enough.  I must try to do some this year.  Even with store bought gizzards.    I read that 4 wk old CX's are processed at 2.5 lbs for cornish game hens.  I have been seriously considering doing a few just 4-5 wks.   How much food do you think 10 would eat in that time.  Was it you or Angelicia that said for 50 birds, 1 bag the first week 2 the second and so on.    :idunno

I know this is silly, but mine are 4 weeks old right now and still kind of cheeping. I couldn't imagine processing now because they seem like chubby babies. 

How much do they weigh?

Yours are really growing. Great weights. You would probably want to wait and process at the desired number of weeks that you planned. What size dressed weight are you wanting?

I honestly have no clue. I usually buy the $6 sized chicken from Walmart, but I have no idea how many pounds that is. Going off $1.29 a lb, that's about a 4.5lb bird. So I could start processing when they get to around 6lbs.

Back
Top Bottom