100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

Yours are really growing. Great weights. You would probably want to wait and process at the desired number of weeks that you planned. What size dressed weight are you wanting?

I honestly have no clue. I usually buy the $6 sized chicken from Walmart, but I have no idea how many pounds that is. Going off $1.29 a lb, that's about a 4.5lb bird. So I could start processing when they get to around 6lbs.

I'm no expert, but I think 6 lbs live would be good. How many do you have again?

I'm no expert, but I think 6 lbs live would be good. How many do you have again?

16 that are 4 weeks and 3 days old. I have another 15 but they are only about a week old.

I had put all the new ones inside the house with the regular brooding chicks while we were freeing up the outside brooder. When I moved them over a couple of days a go, I realised I couldn't tell the difference between the New Hampshire chicks, and the Red Rangers.
th.gif
I got 5 Red Rangers, and there are 6 red ones outside while I figure out who is the odd one out.

16 that are 4 weeks and 3 days old. I have another 15 but they are only about a week old.

I had put all the new ones inside the house with the regular brooding chicks while we were freeing up the outside brooder. When I moved them over a couple of days a go, I realised I couldn't tell the difference between the New Hampshire chicks, and the Red Rangers. :th I got 5 Red Rangers, and there are 6 red ones outside while I figure out who is the odd one out.

Cool. You have a bunch! Yours will be that 6 lb weight in no time. I know you're excited !

Cool. You have a bunch! Yours will be that 6 lb weight in no time. I know you're excited !

I am excited, I'm just very nervous about the dispatching. My husband keeps trying to talk me into sending them somewhere else who charges $2 a bird or something. I feel bad that I'm putting the whole killing on him.

I am excited, I'm just very nervous about the dispatching. My husband keeps trying to talk me into sending them somewhere else who charges $2 a bird or something. I feel bad that I'm putting the whole killing on him. 

I totally understand. What will be his method of dispatching?

All of the broilers that I processed had soooooooooo many good looking livers, hearts and gizzards. I bagged and froze them up separately weighing16 ounces per bag per part. I then placed the small bags in a large freezer bag and will use each 16 ounces of each to make my dressing. I didn't want to freeze all of them together because it was way too much.

I had another broiler last night and it was very small. That baby was so good. It was finger licking good. I love garlic, so I put a lot of garlic powder and stuffed it with garlic.
droolin.gif
I hate to say but I ate the whole thing.
hide.gif
And I froze the bones for my stock.

Angel had the 50 birds. I think you should go for it and get a few and process at a small weight. That would be perfect.

Yeah I think I will. I may have to wait until fall because it gets so darn hot, Well, you would know about heat.
lau.gif
Shreveport gets hot but not near the humidity as south.

I don't think he had picked a way in particular. I got him a very sharp dispatching knife, and told him about bleeding them out and the killing cones. I feel like this is my project and it's unfair to make him do all the killing but sheesh, the thought of cutting into their neck freaks me out a little. He's not a hunter and has never done anything like this before, so he's about as experienced as I am.

I don't think he had picked a way in particular. I got him a very sharp dispatching knife, and told him about bleeding them out and the killing cones. I feel like this is my project and it's unfair to make him do all the killing but sheesh, the thought of cutting into their neck freaks me out a little. He's not a hunter and has never done anything like this before, so he's about as experienced as I am.

I understand about the knife. That's why I used the pellet gun. One shot in the head and you walk away.

Peafowl egg did not hatch Kuntrygirl. :/ I opened it 2 days after it was due to hatch and it was deformed in the head.

I am blaming it on his management of his breeding birds rather than my hatching.. I have tried with at least 30 eggs and not a single one hatched. He did admit that he is feeding them layer feed. I told him that that is asking for trouble. I figured they would need a game bird feed like turkeys or pheasants.. Anyway.. Hope he changes what they are eating so I can successfully hatch one.

I think there were a total of 4 fertile eggs.. the rest were all either clear or cracked.

Thought I'd give you an update.

I had an awesome hatch this week though. I have to count my totals, but I had only 8 that didn't hatch and there were well over 100 chicks.

kuntrygirl- I have devoured and loved your thread. I don't know how you've had time to do all you do much less post about it. You're a wonder.

I'm expecting 25 cornish cross on Tuesday. I'd done five last year (along with a few red broilers for comparison) to see how I liked them. They were wonderful!

I have my own list of "dos and don'ts" based on last year's experience, but have learned a ton more from you. Thanks for sharing it. Love all these folks trying something new and being determined to learn from it.

I still don't know how you processed 30+ birds by yourself in 6 (?) hours.

Back
Top Bottom