108 Degree Heat...My First Chicken Loss :(

Darleen I am soo sorry you lost one of your hens, especially that way. Oh how sad for her and her friends and you. That just about broke my heart and can only imagine the sadness you feel.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I pray this dang ole heat wave lets up soon and gives us all cooler days for our chickies sakes. I fear we are in for a long hot summer here in the south though, again I am so sorry for your loss. Trudy :aww

Today we got to 102 and are now a very chilly 95!! My chickens seem alot more energetic today with that fan inside their pen rather than randomly blowing through it and the "wading pool" was filthy when I changed it so I would assume ti got some kind of activity...didn't see any bikini bottoms hangin around to dry but it does look like they were either drinking or walking in it...maybe they were skinny dipping!!

I just had them out the past hour and a half while I did yard chores and they all seem fine. My son graduates high school tomorrow so I took the day off to get everyones clothes ready and be there to get a decent seat around 5...enormous high school so the ceremony is at the Crown Colliseum. Looking forward to that..plus I will be around some to check on my chickens.
smile.png

heres your cure to heat besides ventalation....sorry to here the loss..

.....Try this it will help your birds out Big Time.......

We use it here as soon as temps hit 93-95 and above...

~~~~~BUY IT AND USE IT Durvet...VITAMINS & ELECTROLYTE, MIX IN WATER~~~~~

it will save your birds under high heat cond...

http://www.durvet.com/DS/250_DS.pdf

Charlie

INDICATIONS
A water soluble premix of vitamins and electrolytes specifically
formulated as a water or feed additive; for use when animals are
subject to conditions of stress.

I have never heard of that Durvet but the ingredients look a bit like boosted gatorade so I bet it would help. I will look in my feed store thursday when I am back in aberdeen and see if they have any, it not I'll find some on line. Thanks!

Last edited:
My chicks went through a whole half of a watermelon during this heatwave. Every morning I would give them a big bowl of ice cold watermelon balls to munch on. I ran out of it yesterday so today I gave them iced pasta instead. You should have seen them them eating it.
lol.png

BTW, when I went out to water my garden around 8ish this evening, it was downright pleasant.
fl.gif
that the brutal heat is gone, for a while anyway!

Darlene, I just saw this and just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss. Our problem here is not the heat, it's that winter just won't quit. It's June and we still wear coats on some days and snow in the forecast in the foothills.

Sorry about your loss. Hot here to and I guess we are all trying to do what we can to help our birds survive the heat. I wonder how those chickens in Iraq survive with their extreme heat. I can't imagine how the soldiers make it with all their gear.

Back
Top Bottom