108 Degree Heat...My First Chicken Loss :(

Scrambled Egg

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
One of my smaller Barred Rocks died today, apparently from our outrageous heat..I suspect she had been in the nesting box and then got down and was too hot..I had the fan blowing in the pen all day but it's still hot...broke my heart to see her laying there. I hope I make it through the rest of this heat spell without anymore losses.

They have shade and the fan and of course a full waterer I change everyday but 108 is pretty extreme. I sure hate it, made me feel guilty and th eother ones had to walk around her for however long she had been laying there (I've been at work and no one is home during the day).....poor little thing..sniff, sniff
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

The rest of them are eating frozen cherry tomatoes I grew last year, I just took the whole bag out there and put it on a pan for them..the first thing they went for was the ice crystals...way too hot today and no prediciton for a cooler tomorrow....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Well, dang the luck Darlene. So sorry to hear about your loss. 108 degrees is tough on everything. Sounds like you are doing everything to help them though. I don't know what more a person could do. Good vibes to you lady.

Oh no! I'm so sorry you lost her
sad.png

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep them cooled down; now it's up to mother nature to do the rest
hugs.gif

Ok I am going to check the girls for the tenth time today its 110 here ! :mad: I need to bring some ice out for their water.

Henry

It's been that hot here as well. My poor chickens all keep panting and I all can do is run the fan for them and feed them cold treats.

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's terrible.
sad.png
:aww

I love you guys! Only people on a chicken forum (well, my husband is upset a bit becasue he knows how much I love them) would understand how sad it is to lose a chicken. I love those girls though, I have hand raised them from 2 days old and talk to them and love on them everyday, I know their personalities. I only had 12. We are not due for rain until next week...108....geez.....thank ya'll for the sympathy....

Darlene - I'm so sorry you lost one of your girls. That is extreme heat though. If it's going to be that hot and you're going to be gone all day at work maybe you could rig up a shallow pool for them and put a hose in there on trickle. I buy kiddie blow up pools at dollar store for $5. You could put one in run or coop and leave hose on slow trickle. I know mine like to stand in their shallow water pans when it's hot and they roll/lay in the wet dirt around them.

Back
Top Bottom