Salmon faverolle heat stroke?

Britzyo

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am morning two of my salmon faverolle who suddenly passed over the last 2 days. I live in the Sacramento area and we are in a heat wave with temperatures hitting 108 yesterday. My hens are about a year old and the first one passed on the roost, we discovered her in the morning. The last one last night and trying to learn from the heat stress we put ice cubes in the water yesterday, gave electrolytes water, watermelon but when we went to close the coop up at night, they have an area to free range, she was laying on the grown not able to move her legs and body at all. We gave her electrolytes and egg yoke to try and revive her and brought her into the house to get her cool- temps maybe in the high 80s at this point, but this morning she was gone.
We have other chickens who also appeared hot- panting, but we’re not sure what happened. Has anyone else experienced this with heat?
The chickens all seemed healthy hours before and then suddenly weren’t. We chickened her body for any other sign of illness and couldn’t find it.

I appreciate everyone’s advice. 💔

I’m so sorry for your loss. Really, the best thing you can do to prevent heat stroke is just to always have fruit/ice cubes/lots of water/electrolytes. Don’t just start when a bird begins to look bad. Watermelon and electrolytes are great. Make sure you’re not using the deep litter method in your coop (as the decomposing process creates a lot of heat). Have a lot of water always on hand. You can put ice cubes in the water. What kind of bedding are you using? Also, having a good dust bath area is good, so the chickens can burrow into a cooler layer of dirt. Good luck. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom