108 Degree Heat...My First Chicken Loss :(

I'm sorry to hear of everyone's having similar troubles with this heat with their chickens. I'm feeling pretty demoralized by it too. I have a fan directly on my chicks and they are in an enclosed barn. I don't know what I'd do if I lose any of them...

I hope everyone can make it through and like others fear a rough (hot) summer.

sad.png

sad.png
So sorry Darlene!

I also had my first chicken death - I found the little one today after getting home from a 4 day vacation. I know how sad it is, I found the little baby lying on the coop floor, I don't know what happened, could be she was stepped on, or was trampled by other chickens, she was a tiny little bantam baby only 2 weeks old..... a really sweet little thing.

hugs.gif

Oh gosh Darlene, I'm very sorry. I had no idea that it was that hot up the coast. 108 must be way unusual for you.
I have followed someone's hint and put a block of ice in their water every morning, and they love it, and the water stays somewhat cool all day.
It was pretty hot the other day, all these panting chickens, and I turned on the hose and sprayed them all till they were soaking wet. They didn't like it, but I could see the difference in their behavior afterward.
Now I have that mist thing, I got at walmart , it's like 30 feet long with misters.
I know that kind of weather you're having takes everyone off guard, it's pretty sad when it happens.

Quote:
Love the air conditioned chicken room idea. I will plan to get some ice packs so I'm ready. We don't often even get into the 90's here and then it's usually in late July / early August. We were already in the 90's yesterday and will be again today. I am so sorry about the losses gang. Best wishes.

Crowinking, that roo was very handsome, so sorry he is gone. I hope the wading pool helps today but I think I will spend my lunch break in walmart getting ice packs and plastic trash cans! ...maybe if they can sit on them it will cool their feet or beside them might be cool too and that might help too.

I am sorry for everyone's losses, Wildfries I am so sorry about that baby you hatched and lost, was that the one with the splayed legs you fixed? I know your little girl is heart broken, so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Lee, sounds like ya'll are getting the same kind of hot humid weather we are, hope the rest of yours make it to.

I hope there are no ore heat losses today for anyone..I sure do worry though that it is only June.........holy cow...what are we in for this summer...

Awwww, I'm so sad for you.
sad.png
One of my chickens seemed really sick on Sun. from the heat so I brought her in the house. I didn't want to take any chances with the other 2 so they too are in the house (all in their own little dog cage). I also still have 6 chicks in the brooder so that makes 9 in the house and two dogs! I don't know what I'll do next year if it gets this hot. I won't be able to bring 9 grown chickens inside!

Big hugs to you :aww

I left Fort Bragg On Oct. 1, 2006 and I am thankful reading this.... 108 WOW. I grew up on the reservation in Cherokee during the summers and rarely remember days at 100 degrees.

Sorry you lost your BR.
hugs.gif

I still have my 6 12 week olds in the hot ub inside and 5 2 week olds inside. They are in the coolest room of the house and have a fan going on the big girls and over the top of the little girls for circulation. I cannot imagine what the hot months are going to bring. But August 1, they and I will be in our new home and they will have plenty of shade, misters and fans if they want them. I shall have AC...

Last edited:
I am soooooooooooo sorry i am new to the site and again im sorry about your chicken. but a hundred and eight man i hope she/he had a good life.:aww
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom