10wk Production Red and 9.5wk Speckled Sussex - Genders?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I am getting ready to send the boys off to the processor at the end of this month and I really need to know what genders these guys are so I know how many I am sending!

First, the Production Red. I always thought one looked like a pullet, but it'd grow more wattle and comb and at 6wks, I dismissed it as a cockerel and threw it in with the boys to grow out. Now, I am not so sure it's a cockerel. It still has some thick-ish legs and largish comb and wattles, but not as big as the boys and it's still a pale pink.

(It's the one with no tail feathers in the groups shots - I included them so you can see the difference between that one and the others)
82238_100_0962.jpg

82238_100_0956.jpg

82238_100_0955.jpg

And here's the Sussex that is still keeping me guessing!
Two weeks ago it was a 4 to 1 consensus that she was a pullet. "Her" wattles are still small compared to the other 4 boys and she's keeping a very pale pink color. But, the long, dark tail feathers and a comb bigger than the girls is making me thing boy. I have a boy with a tail like my girls, though, and a another girl with dark tail feathers.
82238_100_1003.jpg

82238_100_1001.jpg

Sorry, that was the only recent one I have with it's tail feathers showing.

Also, for kicks, is this 10wk old Barred Rock a pullet or a cockerel?
82238_100_0998.jpg

She's the one with the lump on her head, and I think she's going for slaughter either way.

Thanks!

I have a few that could go either way as well. I will look at their tails, coms, wattles, etc, and there is always that exception to the rule! I guess I am going to wait it out and see who crows! LOL! Good luck!

Yeah, I am starting to think that way, but still no crowing. My BAs are 11.5 wks and just started. My Sebright is 11 wks and started over the weekend.
Here's some of my known boys:

82238_100_0950.jpg

82238_100_0963.jpg

82238_100_0951.jpg

^ Crooked Comb - the leader of the "Attack Mom" vultures.

See why I am confused? The comb and wattles are not as big or bright reddish as these boys'.
Yet, it has more comb than the girls. The 4 definite girls:

82238_100_0987.jpg

I think the PR is a rooster - I don't have a production at that age to compare it to but the comb is a lot bigger/more red than my new hampshire pullets at the same age. Pretty close to my productions that are POL but not laying yet. Hopefully someone else will have had experience raising PR!

Gosh those are big legs on the PR, I vote Roo on that one.
The SS has attributes of both a roo and pullet, the lack of feathering on the back leads me to think Roo, the comb is also suspicious...wow...I'm saying 75% certainty Roo but hopefully I'm wrong.
BR looks to be a pullet though even though it's fait is the freezer!

Welp, I am saying the SS is a roo now. I actually had the chance to compare him closely with the pullets (hard to do since he refuses to leave the brooder and when you kick him out, he's back within minutes). He's more upright and his legs are huge and long compared to theirs. He doesn't have back feathers because we had feather pickers/eaters before I moved them to the hen shed. Now he just gets picked on if he leaves the brooder.
So, at least one is settled. Yay! My hubby will let me get a couple more now!

As for the PR, yes, it's legs are big, but not as big as the others. That pale pink comb and wattles is what's holding me up. It's wattles are smaller than the others as well. It also carry's itself different. I guess it's more hen like (compacted and horizontal) and not so upright. I am pretty sure the PR is going to be a roo, though. Mainly because so far it seems like the ones that are hard to tell and I'm "on the fence" about are boys.

*ponders* Now... Which SS roo gets to stay?

EDIT- There we have it, Happy Chooks confirms it's a boy. Yay! That's 23 for the processor!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom