1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 month old Easter Egger FINALLY lays!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harewizard, Mar 3, 2011.

1. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I am so excited to share with you that my Easter Egger has finally laid her first egg! [​IMG] AND ...it's blue! [​IMG]

Now, you may think, whopee, [​IMG] big deal. However, she is 4 weeks shy of 1 YEAR Old! Isn't that just stinkin' ridiculous!

I was in shock [​IMG] standing in the coop looking at that blue egg among brown ones. I blinked several times; [​IMG] thought it was a mirage; the way the sun was shining thru the window.... I finally picked it up and it is the mopst gorgeous color blue!!

My lil' girl did "The duty!" [​IMG]

I have read and researched about Easter Eggers, taking a looooong time to lay. And also that some are so 'mixed' and so far down the line away from the genes that make the olive and blue eggs that they could actually lay brown/tan eggs. This is what I thought was going on. [​IMG]

Our flock is a mix of Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandotte, and Red Stars in addition to the 1 Easter Egger. We purchased them as chicks from our local feed store. [​IMG]

[​IMG] So, I'm here to tell you: IF you have an Easter Egger and she is younger than 1 year old and has not laid...

WAIT! It can still happen!!

Thanks for letting me share! [​IMG]
    Lisa

[​IMG][/img]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The color of the egg is gorgeous. Also a big Congratulations.

3. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    I am with you on that, I have 6 that were given to me last year as a "thank you for helping'" at the local feed store event. One finally layed an egg, they are 1 week shy of being 11 months old.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    What a beautiful blue!!! It looks like it was dyed for Easter.

Seems she saved all her "blue" for the big day. Definitely worth the wait! [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Oooooh!! For an egg that color it was worth the wait! Beautiful. It's so frustrating waiting for EEs to lay for the first time, but when they do... look out world! I got two green egg layers this past year. I am hoping for some blues this year (even if I have to resort to buying from a breeder).

Good luck with her.

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Yippee! I feel your pain, mine started laying last week, it was a torturous wait.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Congrats on the beautiful blue egg!! [​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Gorgeous Egg! [​IMG]

I just bought two EEs at TSC...hope I don't have so long a wait... [​IMG]

9. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    Wow! What a stunning blue egg!! My two EEs held out for 40+ weeks, but when the eggs came (very pale blue and dark olive green) it was worth the wait! [​IMG]

10. FlyingtheCoop

FlyingtheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Unbelievable egg! I'm curious, was she squatting or showing other "pre-egg" signs the whole time or did it seem to come out of nowhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by