11 week old buff orpington attacked

poca77

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 3, 2010
My biggest hen was attacked yesterday and has bite or scratch marks on her leg and under her wing. (Her name is Peck.) My 11 week old rooster has some dried blood on the back of his comb. 2 11 week old hens have part of there combs sraped off and 1 11 week old has bite marks on both wings.

(All the 11 week old chickens are buff orpingtons)

The 7 week old chicks who were there are all okay. (they are asorted types.) (there is 6)

Can I give them human topical antibiotics?

I want to take them to the vet but my mom says no, what should I do?

Peck is laying down a lot but is walking around a little she ate some too but she didn't drink any water that I know of.

All 11 are staying in the coop, but if we come out they will too.

Quote:
Neosporin without pain relief, the 'caine in any form are out as in will likely kill your birds, you need to keep the injured birds separated from the uninjured birds and in a quiet warm place with relatively low light.

You also need to make certain that they drink so keep an eye on them. I would also pay for you to get some electrolytes (children's pedilite without iron, or gaterade) and see that the bird gets some.

If your birds are eating but not drinking it might be possible to mix a little crumble or mash into a small amount of liquid and get it to take fluids that way.

Blooded areas should be cleaned, and if there is a wound a bit of neosporin can be used and then the area coated with blue kote (it is a purple/blue mixture used to both treat and hide blooded spots. The red blood color will allow the other birds to locate and then peck on the wounds, your birds are not the cute cuddly kind creatures you might think they are, if they see the blood they are likely to keep after the wound until they hit a vital organ or cause certain organs to spill contents high in bacteria. Then the game is over for the injured bird. This is how flocks get rid of potential problem members and why a bird that isn't 100% is likely to be found off by itself. You need to keep the injured birds separate from the uninjured birds.

Birds tend to go into shock when attacked and it may take some time before they start acting like chickens again. That is the reason for the quiet, low light, heat, and baby treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom