11 Week Old Buff Orpington - Hen or Rooster?

ajsteele03

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Sagamore Hills, OH
My wife and I recently ordered 15 chicks from Meyer Hatchery and one of our Buff Orpingtons is standing out from the other 4 (1st pic). The others look like the one in the second pic.

Any help/thoughts on what sex the first chicken is would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

Last edited:
cmlew99, I just wanted to tell you that you were right! Penny has turned out to be Mr. Penny
big_smile.png
, and as long as he and our other rooster behave together we will keep him. He is now about 18 weeks old really friendly, he's never shown any hostility at all to me or the other girls. He still hasn't crowed (that I've heard) but I think it's pretty safe to say that he's a little boy
wink.png
. Thanks for your advice
frow.gif

Last edited:
If he's standing out as different, I would guess probably roo! I'm no expert though! But other than the larger comb not sure I see other roo features. Does he/she behave differently?

That one has sturdy legs and a lot of comb for a hen at 11 weeks. My bet would be rooster. I am NOT an expert but am a momma of two buff Orpington hens who are 1 year olds. Your chickens are lucky to live in that fabulous expanse!

I think the first is a roo. It has a large red comb and if you look closley at the tail it is starting to arch and curve like a roos tail would. Whil.e the second which is a pullet has a small light comb and a strait tail.He also has pretty thick legs.

Thank you for all of your replies. We were leaning rooster because of the difference in tail feathers, the developing red comb/waddles, and his bolder disposition (he will run right up to us while the others are still a little shy).

First pic is a roo, second is a pullet. He also has more red coloring around his wings/shoulders that females don't have.

Back
Top Bottom