11 wk old BR suddenly stands like penguin

Farmgirl805

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Ventura, CA
This is actually day 2 of my BR pullet standing like a penguin. Yesterday it was very off/ on so I wasn’t sure if I was imagining things. Today I’m sure. So here’s the deal- this is about the end of the first week of the 4 pullets being outside in the run all day. They are segregated from the big girls as we transition them in. See/Smell only at this point. Anyway. I’m thinking coccidiosis but not positive. There are some mustard-y/ runny poops in the “teenagers room” outside but I can’t be sure whose they are. I have some Corid on hand Should I start treating? And treating everybody? Also, any other suggestions? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpeg
    IMG_2171.jpeg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 11
Start the Corid, won't hurt if it's not Coccidiosis ... How old are they?
The area they're in, is there good ventilation? Does it get warm?
What are you feeding?
Watch for any other symptoms, eating/drinking/pooping is a good sign. It's very possible it's stress due to the move.

Start the Corid, won't hurt if it's not Coccidiosis ... How old are they?
The area they're in, is there good ventilation? Does it get warm?
What are you feeding?
Watch for any other symptoms, eating/drinking/pooping is a good sign. It's very possible it's stress due to the move.
They are 11 wks old. Full open air, about 55-60 degrees during the day. It’s been kind of cloudy the last few weeks, more so than usual. They are still on their chick grower feed. Does anyone know the proper dosage for liquid Corid?

Hi I have a question if anyone is still listening. When you give liquid Corid in their water, is that the only water you offer or do you also continue to give clean water also? Thanks

Hi I have a question if anyone is still listening. When you give liquid Corid in their water, is that the only water you offer or do you also continue to give clean water also? Thanks
Any chance you can get some pics of their poop?

You don't have to offer non medicated water - no. It this case, it would be better to not do so because if one has it, they most likely all have it.

Are you noticing any other symptoms aside from how she is standing? Nasal discharge? Raspy breathing?

Hold her upside down and pull her wings away from her body. Do you see any mites in her "armpit" or at the base of any feathers?

Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, as the only source of water for 5-7 days. Change it daily. I would treat all birds. Clean out visible droppings, and make sure to keep their bedding dry and stirred, and add new as needed.

Any chance you can get some pics of their poop?

You don't have to offer non medicated water - no. It this case, it would be better to not do so because if one has it, they most likely all have it.

Are you noticing any other symptoms aside from how she is standing? Nasal discharge? Raspy breathing?

Hold her upside down and pull her wings away from her body. Do you see any mites in her "armpit" or at the base of any feathers?
I haven’t noticed any mites or lice but I’ve been looking. I’ve suspected some kind of parasite for a while now. We treated the entire adult flock with ElectorPSP a few weeks ago, but they are all still itching and preening more than I’d like. But I haven’t found a single mite, lice, nothing. I’ve done the “under the roost” check for mite blood, I’ve looked for scaley leg mites…. Honestly I’ve found nothing. Even before we treated with E-PSP I still hadn’t found any lice or mites but again, they were itching more than I felt comfortable with.
Like I said, I have the ElectorPSP but I’m not sure it’s a good idea to treat again, especially while everyone is on Corid. (I added it to the big girl’s water too this morning). I feel at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom