11 year old Campbell gone broody again?

OliveGreen

Chirping
Jun 2, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hello ducky people,

It’s late spring/early summer here in Australia, and this evening, my 11&1/2 year old Dark Campbell ‘Olive’ started searching out little secret spots in the garden, making nests in the mulch and sitting there quietly hiding. She was also making that ‘I need to lay an egg’ sound even though she hasn’t layed in over 5 years.

I had a bit of trouble getting her off to bed, so I gave her some extra straw for her box, and again she made it into a little nest and sat down, pushing her feet out as she did when she last brooded eggs over 10 years ago as a 1 year old duck! I decided to give her two infertile eggs from my Cayuga just to see what she would do. She carefully rolled them into the nest and sat on them, and later when she got up to eat, covered them with straw.

I’m perplexed! She’s an amazing little duck and was a great mother in her day (which I’ve heard is unusual for Campbells), but I’m worried this might be a bad sign? Has anyone here ever heard of a duck trying to brood at that age?

One of the drakes that she’s been with all her life died a week ago, and I also aquired a new 6-8 week old female duckling yesterday and added her to Olive’s group, so I’m not sure if these two things could have anything to do with her behaviour? It’s been a big change in dynamics for her after 11&1/2 years of being with the same ducky friends.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Well, it looks like Olive has given up on her broodiness for now at least. Today she got up off the two infertile eggs I had given her and carried on with her garden fossicking as per usual, so perhaps it was just a passing fancy?

I did have a thought that the ‘needing to lay an egg’ false alarm sounds she was making yesterday may have been a sign of an oviduct problem perhaps? She already has a vet check up booked in tomorrow along with another one of my ducks, so I’ll ask the vet and see what he thinks.

As long as there’s no medical problems, if she shows any interest again this season I might try placing a few fertile chicken eggs underneath her and see what happens. Imagine a duck raising chickens!

@Jpat - She is very sweet and VERY sassy. Full of character and my little number 1 duck!
I was searching around for photos last night, but can’t find many good ones.... most are videos not photos, and many pics of her younger days are still floating around on a hard drive somewhere...

It’s not the best shot
E5D133D4-CD12-47AA-A194-A8A0FFD04553.png
of my old girl but here’s one I took today

Back
Top Bottom