110 degrees today, has anyone lost any chickens in this heat??

Quote:
Day old chicks like it at 95 degs anyways. Older birds have more trouble. When the the temps get above 85 or 90 chickens start feeling the heat and you'll see them spreading their wings and panting. Their body temperature is around 105 and when the temps get much above 100 it can be life threatening if they are not accustomed to it. High humidity levels also hinders their their ability to cool themselves.

As a previous poster said, fans, fans, and fans... We've had days this summer of 100 degree weather with the heat index around 115. We have 2500 organic laying hens. In addition to the exhaust fans that normally operate in our barn, I put two large 42" fans blowing in the back door creating a strong breeze that carried through the barn out the other side. They looked miserable, but we didn't lose any. Without the fans I'm positive that we would have lost some.

It's only 87 here right now, but the humidity is at 70% for a heat index close to 100. I spent an hour working in the garage and came in drenched from head to toe in sweat.

I lived in southern New Mexico for a number of years. 100 degree heat there was nothing because the air was so dry. I could go and jog for a couple of miles in those temperatures without even breaking a sweat, it just evaporated right off... When the humidity was above 30% the locals would be complaining about how humid it was.

Quote:
my goodness it seams a better question would be who Hasn't lost birds to the heat this year and what are they doing differently then we are...

pink
from SC

It's 108 degrees right now...brutally hot! I haven't lost any chickens yet, knock on wood! I have been keeping those thick plastic Folgers coffee cans filled up with frozen water and putting them in the coop every day. They lay around on and beside them all day. Have fans on them as well. I went out and wet the coop/run dirt floor down with cold garden hose water awhile ago and doing it again in a few minutes.

For the new members, could y'all put your general locations in your user profile? A lot of the advice here on BYC varies by location, especially when talking about the weather...

JJ & Mac,

Thanks for your responses. I have a knack for doing things the hard way. Six months ago we bought 25 Black Sexlinks and raised them when the outside temps were in the teens. We decided that we didn't want to do that again and without thinking this through, ordered exactly 6 months to the day when the temps are at the other extreme. It makes for good learning though!

I was much aware of the heat minimums they require. What I don't know is the maximums they can tolerate. A friend of mine told me he ordered a clutch of pullets in similar conditions a number of years ago and they all perished. They're such a fragile bird, but at the same time, they're strangely hardy.

I'm in Dallas. I can't find where to change that.

Jason

Quote:
Yes, it's pretty darn hot down there today. Shade, cool water, and fans...

I lived in Abilene for four years having moved from there two years ago. I remember my son graduating from high school the first week of May in 2009 and it was 106 that day. My relatives from Wisconsin who had had a long winter decided some warm weather would be nice, as they stepped off the plane they almost turned around and got back on...

We were getting the 100* with heat index hitting 120*. Only thing we could do was turn the AC down, we had it at 75* a few days to keep the chickens from overheating. The coop got to 83* with that, and we have heavy breeds.

Out of 20, I ended up losing 6 meat birds to the heat before it was time to process them. 2 more I managed to save by setting them in the water pan and scooping the cool water over them. (I have several large feed pans in the run that I put water in for all my birds.) They were so bad they couldn't even hold their heads up.

To keep my chickens and turkeys cool, I have a fan in the coop, lots of water pans and once a day I go out and mist them with the hose. They also seem to enjoy standing in the water pans.

I lost one the other day...she was fine the night before on her loose time...and the next morn but that eve when I went to let my gals out she was dead...neck looked broken and my husband thinks she fell off the roost and hit on the house in the run?? very scary to not know for sure so I spend all day checking chickens...I think the heat got her on the roost and thats why she went down but idk....
sad.png
I am doing ice water and lots of shade but looks like I need to step it up a notch( in SC) the next few days as we are past the 100 mark again...

Back
Top Bottom